Lyxumia not working. Options? Bydureon? Victoza?

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi there,

I was on Metformin and sitagliptin with worsening control, and wavering levels of carbohydrate in my diet, but after being refused a referral to the consultant for a GLP-1 inhibitor 12 months ago because my BMI was 34.9 and not 35, my HbA1c went up to 77 and I was finally prescribed Lyxumia via a new 'Nurse Facilitator' at my GP Practice.

I've been taking it 5 weeks now (with Metformin), and it doesn't seem to be having much effect on my morning bloods which are rarely under 8mmol regardless of what I eat the day/evening before. I have been experimenting with different amounts of carbs and it doesn't seem to have much effect at all on bloods... I feel pretty rubbish too, nauseous a lot of the time, no energy, headaches, but I've heard this should wear off. But to have this on top of the tingling fingers and feet I have progressing, and still not have good control is pretty scary :-(

What are your experiences with Lyxumia and blood glucose control? How long did it take to have an effect? I've read that it has an effect quite quickly... Do you take it with a low carb diet? What has it done to your numbers?

My nurse has suggested I change to Bydureon, which I understand is a once weekly injection with a bigger needle. Has anyone made this change? What are your experiences in control with that, and what did it do to your numbers?

Thank you

C

catherinecherub

I have moved your post to "Ask a question" in the hope that you will get some replies.

FlyingPonyMonster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi there,

I was on Metformin and sitagliptin with worsening control, and wavering levels of carbohydrate in my diet, but after being refused a referral to the consultant for a GLP-1 inhibitor 12 months ago because my BMI was 34.9 and not 35, my HbA1c went up to 77 and I was finally prescribed Lyxumia via a new 'Nurse Facilitator' at my GP Practice.

I've been taking it 5 weeks now (with Metformin), and it doesn't seem to be having much effect on my morning bloods which are rarely under 8mmol regardless of what I eat the day/evening before. I have been experimenting with different amounts of carbs and it doesn't seem to have much effect at all on bloods... I feel pretty rubbish too, nauseous a lot of the time, no energy, headaches, but I've heard this should wear off. But to have this on top of the tingling fingers and feet I have progressing, and still not have good control is pretty scary :-(

What are your experiences with Lyxumia and blood glucose control? How long did it take to have an effect? I've read that it has an effect quite quickly... Do you take it with a low carb diet? What has it done to your numbers?

My nurse has suggested I change to Bydureon, which I understand is a once weekly injection with a bigger needle. Has anyone made this change? What are your experiences in control with that, and what did it do to your numbers?

Thank you

I'm on lyxumia and not really seeing massive improvements, how are you getting on?

Reactions: helga_t75

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi, this was a while ago, in early March I think? Doesn't time fly!

Basically the side effects were very bad. Awful headache and nausea, so bad I stayed in bed all day a couple of days. Not good. And with no impact on my numbers.

I got approval to change to Bydureon and was just about to go and get the prescription when I read this article: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/18538438.php and it really put the wind up me. I felt so bad on the Lyxumia I really couldn't see how it would do me any good in the long run, and I felt the risks of this unproven medicine were too great.

And then I found information on the ketogenic diet and decided to give that a whirl... So I just stopped the GLP-1 inhibitors and am just taking metformin. I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing that, and it has clearly displeased my diabetic nurse.

Have had a fairly bumpy ride with low carb / ketogenic, you have to really focus but my numbers are now way better than they have been in a long time.

I also got a libre and started using that, and discovered that I have a very sharp rise in my numbers as I wake up so I've been experimenting with that: Taking metformin when I go to bed seems to help, and having a creamy coffee with some cheese immediately on getting out of bed also. I don't really like breakfast, but can drink a coffee or 2.

I know from the libre that my body can't tolerate very many carbs at all, and actually not very much protein either. I eat a lot of fat for energy but am mostly not in ketosis. I rarely get hungry though :)

I've blood tests booked for Monday so we'll see what that gives. I had an HbA1c of 71 in January with tingly hands and feet. This morning I had a fasting of 6.9, it stayed level most of the day and my tingling hands and feet have gone.

Fingers crossed. I'm still not sure where to go next, I really don't want insulin...