Having a bad day!!!

Petal50

Hi folks,
i'm having a really bad day! i am 1 month into this lovely lifestyle of a type 2, thought i was doing well up to yesterday... yes i fell off the low carb wagon :( i had fish and chips from the local award winning chippy for my tea yesterday and they were really delicious, i also had a handful of grapes later in the evening. yes i know own fault when i got a bg of 16.4 at bedtime, waking test today was 9.1 higher than my usual 8ish.
BUT today i feel terrible... headache, so tired i'm dead on my feet, a mouth like the bottom of a bird cage, thirsty like never before and a really horrible sweet taste in my mouth, sound familiar??? oh and did i mention i feel sick....
help :!: what can i do to feel better? is it a hyper episode?

i am on a low carb diet and 2x metformin daily.
I'm fed up now, thanks in advance, i know my forumites won't let me down.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Ugh poor you ! You are having a 'carb hangover' Last one I had of those was last Christmas when I over do it on the carbs ! Don't beat yourself up over it. We all 'fall off the wagon' occasionally.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sugarless sue said:
Ugh poor you ! You are having a 'carb hangover' Last one I had of those was last Christmas when I over do it on the carbs ! Don't beat yourself up over it. We all 'fall off the wagon' occasionally.

I take it you ate all the Christmas pud Sue and left nowt for the rest of the family! :lol:

Nigel

k9kitty

Hi Petal50,
I hope by the time you read this you are feeling better.
We all have days when we over do the carbs, my downfall is chocolate peanuts from M&S, just because I can eat a few and not dent the bg reading I scoff the lot :roll: . The thing to do is not be too hard on yourself but resolve to get back on track as soon as you can and you can do it.

Think back to when you were dx'd, when you learnt about low carbing and resolved to do that, how did you feel, hopeful perhaps, looking forward to your health improving. Remind yourself of what you decided to do to bring your diabetes under control and start again. It's a bit tough during the first couple of months and there is so much info to wade through but keep trying.

When you have your HbA1c blood test this will inform you and your doc how your bg averages out over the past three moths and that will give your something to work on.

Keep a food diary, note down what symptoms occur when, note your bg readings too. I have some berries or an apple or pear rather than grapes. You can ask for grilled fish with a small jacket potato or a few new potaoes rather than chips, in most fish restaurants if you want to eat out. There is always a way around these things, so keep trying. I am sure you can find good food advice in other posts on this forum which will help you

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
Not everyone falls off the low carb wagon! Why would you when you see how bad it makes you feel? I choose to avoid more complications by avoiding foods that cause spikes in bg.

C

catherinecherub

Why would we fall off the wagon?

The heavenly smell, the excited taste buds and the saliva that is manufactured, couple with the perceived pleasure of the "forbidden" food far outweighs the need for caution in most of us. Your digestion is in overdrive and eagerly waiting.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't beat yourself up about it - your only one month in and it can take a bit of accepting and getting used to- we are only human! - just learn from it and then put it behind you!

I don't low carb - usually between 100 - 130g carbs a day - I rarely fall from the wagon but try to plan "treats" - I too had fish and chips from our award winning chippie - (3 doors from my house! sometimes the smell can be torture especially if I am hungry - I defy even the angels in heaven not to be tempted by the smell of fish & chips :wink: )

I planned my little foray into the carb jungle - took all the batter except the bit from the tail end off the fish - saved that bit till last (licks lips)- had about 15 chips - even had a teaspoon of tom ketchup to dip - plenty of vinegar

Reading 1 2 and 3rs after eating didn't go above 7 dropping on the 3 hr reading - not a bad result for a treat now and then.

Don't deny yourself anything - that's when you do fall off - plan your treats exercise portion control and test plenty - and you may find you can tolerate more than you think :) - even if you find you can't eat whatever it is at least you enjoyed trying :evil: