Hypos

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bon83 . Diabetes thrives on negativity and creating darkness in our lives. I could dwell on this and other hypos but it solves nothing. I make light of things that have happened and me and my family occasionally have a laugh at some of the predicaments I've found myself in over the years. It's the only way.
Hopefully you will avoid having bad hypos.

Reactions: Bon83

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Bon83 yes I shouldn't of been so flippant I tend to forget how bad they can feel. But toast and honey is nice.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bon83 . Diabetes thrives on negativity and creating darkness in our lives. I could dwell on this and other hypos but it solves nothing. I make light of things that have happened and me and my family occasionally have a laugh at some of the predicaments I've found myself in over the years. It's the only way.
Hopefully you will avoid having bad hypos.
Yes I agree with the darkness - it creates doubt in everything we do. My own 'demon' is hypos I feel like I have some kind of ticking massive hypo time bomb inside of me and one day it's gonna be bad. I try to limit the insulin I need to take and would need to be surgically removed from the bg machine. I like to exercise and I know I would be better if I allowed myself more insulin and lower bg but I just can't rationalise it. My dad had bad hypos but got over them and I joke that he managed to survive with some kendal mint cake in his top pocket and did a sailing competition with a stick of blackpool rock. Take care of yourself

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A friend of mine many years ago was T1 and prone to frequent hypos that often would leave her incapacitated some times unconscious, every one in her circle of friends used to carry sugar cubes with them just in case.

angie.eren

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was wondering what was the lowest reading for your blood sugar? Mine was 3.4. What works fastest for you when you treat the hypo? Do you feel fine straight away afterwards or do you feel rotten for the rest of the day?

Hiya,
My lowest that I know of was 0.7 about 4 years ago & I was lucky enough to have my Mum with me who tried to get me drink Lucozade (My usual treatment ) but my mouth was firmly shut, she then tried a glucagon injection but I kept fidgeting so she was unable to do that so she rang an ambulance It was an extremely frightening experience. My diabetes consultant put me on the Medtronic 640 G pump about 7 months after with funding with the cgm. Luckily no 999 calls have been made for me thankfully

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaCollis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was wondering what was the lowest reading for your blood sugar? Mine was 3.4. What works fastest for you when you treat the hypo? Do you feel fine straight away afterwards or do you feel rotten for the rest of the day?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
1.2 and still awake, however I can be unconscious at 2.3 on occassions! I usually feel headachy and sleepy afterwards. sugar dissolved in warm milk...

I was 0.6 once and my husband called an ambulance but since I've been using a 640g, no serious hypos, thank heavens.

XBel

I used to go down to 1.8 quite regularly and still be compus-mentus, holding a conversation, dealing with the low myself. The lowest I remember was 1.2.

Then again I can be out of it at 3, depending on situation and speed.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My lowest was 2.6, which I've reached exactly three times, one of which was today :( I use a variety of lollies and sugary drinks to treat hypos, and in my opinion the liquids raise my blood sugar more quickly. Sometimes I feel ok soon after, usually with mild hypos (high 3's) or when my blood sugar isn't changing very quickly. If my blood sugar is quite low, or dropping rapidly, then I often feel funny for a while after (possibly from anxiety).

Wayne18000

Lowest hypos don't have a number. I've had a fair amount of low BS over the years. A real hypo is where you wake up , touch your face, see your hand covered in blood and go back sleep. Wake up again, was it a dream? Check hand, nope not a dream, hand covered in dry blood. Get out of bed, where is the duvet? Go toilet, look in mirror, realise top of nose is slightly detached from rest of head along with some strange facial marks and a split lip. Find duvet at bottom of staircase along with pillow. Make a call to sister to say " think I've had an hypo " this is followed by a trip to A&E to have bridge of nose put back in place with stitches ( stitches without anaesthetic OUCH!!!! ) . To this day I have no idea of what happened that day. But it was a hypo.
I have more tales to tell but I could never give you a BS reading.
Omg that's very frightening!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

nancy.hill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
2.3 Woke up dripping wet, pillow and t-shirt also wet through. Felt very shaky. 1 brain cell suggested I test my BG. 3 dextrose tabs and an orange juice. Changed bedding and t=shirt waited til BG =4+ and went back to sleep.