Hi All

Maggie May

I've just been told I'm T2 and I think I knew it was coming as the doc has been dropping hints for a while now, so it looks like I'm the newest member of this ever increasing club! :shock:
I've been reading up on the various websites and I think I'm now totally confused :? Just what am I supposed to be eating High carb or low carb. :| Tomorrow I go to see the diabetes nurse and get a monitor then hopefully I can work out what works best for me. Until then I'll keep reading the forum and trying to get my head round this!!!!! :D

Dippy3103

Hi.
It is so confusing at first with differing advice from different people. My advice is to keep an open mind and see what works best for you, probably with some trial and error.
Are you on meds? Or diet only?
Good luck

StevieBoy

Dislikes
Rocket, Early mornings, DIY
Hi Maggie,

Totally know where you are coming from - I was quite confused at first and it took a couple of weeks to start getting my head round it (I was diagnosed in August). The problem I had was the NHS leaflets said one thing, such as eat a decent portion of starchy carbs at each meal, and other psources contradicted this and said cut down on carbs. Like Dippy3103 says it's best to try and find out what works for you as this may be different from others. I find testing a couple of hours after I eat something 'new' (i.e. that I haven't tested after before) helps me work out what is good for my BG levels and what isn't, and has helped a lot with portion control. Some results where surprising - even natural no sugar added muesli sends my BG levels very high.

Good luck and don't be too daunted - it gets easier!

Murphybear

Big Hi and hugs to all newbies

Couldn't agree more with what's been said - find something that suits YOU. I followed official advice including dietician from hospital and ate loads of multigrain bread, whole wheat pasta and brown rice - my BG went out of control and my doc kept upping my dosage. I got my head around stuff from this website and after 3 months of low carbs my BG levels are normal and my doc was thrilled and lowered my medication. He said 'keep doing whatever you're doing because it obviously works"

I was 'despondent of Devon' but we can change that to 'delighted'!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ps also lost 2 stone

Maggie May

Thanks for the advice, I went to see the nurse and diabetes doc today and I've been prescribed one Metformin tablet each day and told to take my blood glucose level each morning for the next 5 days before I eat. After 5 days I have to then take it at random every other day for 3 days a week. I thought I'd have to take it a few times a day until I see the effects of what I eat. Does this sound ok to you. On the plus side my level this morning a couple of hours after breakfast was 5.8 which I thought sounded ok!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I was also asked to do a fasting test every 3 or 4 days. And once a month I have to do a full day of tests - fasting, before and after meals, writing down what I ate. Also if I have had a medication change. So I go to the Doctors with a wad of papers and she looks at them thoroughly. She keeps them all in my file which is getting thick! She does read the file too. I test more than that however, especially when I want to know what effect a particular food has on me.

Maggie May

Hi Daisy
Thanks for that, I think I might test more often than instructed as I want to know what effect my food is having.
Margaret