Type 2 Are you ashamed to have Type 2 Diabetes?

kmtech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you read around carefully you will probably notice that certain people are quick to identify themselves as Type 1's. It's as if they are really saying 'this condition is as a result of bad luck and has nothing to do with me'.

I get the impression that certain people with Type 1 diabetes seem to act like they are above people with Type 2.

Then just read a few newspapers. The whole narrative is that if you have Type 2 diabetes you have only yourself to blame. They basically make you feel ashamed of your condition.

The whole thing makes me sick.

Reactions: 2Much_SugarShan

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have found only one person of T1 who was a little rude about T2s and his post was, quite rightly, pulled. The rest of the T1s seem to be just as encouraging of T2s as they are to each other.
Neither have I seen the 'fat shaming' that goes on in the media and now in the general public.
But hey, that's just me.

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not ashamed, however I have been on diabete courses and I do feel sorry for the people who are grossly overweight and expecting a miracle drug to fix them.
I'm lucky I suppose I have had the will power to lose 3 stone , stop my meds and now seeing normal bloods although I do eat low carb but do have the odd big meal.. and the best of it is I feel great !!!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly I fear you may never become a " type 1 " diabetic and aspire to the lofty perch on which us " type 1's " sit.
I can only apologise to you for having my condition not yours.
Must go now , climb on my roof , and shout to all and sundry that I'm a " type 1 " diabetic.
P.S . Like yourself I'm feeling a bit nauseous at the moment, must be this thread!!!!!!!!!

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh you. No, nobodys above anyone. We all have to struggle and live with this condition and we all are here to help each other. Its important to say you are type 1 or 2 or 1.5 etc, so others on here can have more info, give better advices and all. And I dont think type 2s should blame themselves. I feel that so many non diabetics are ignorant about this condition and only see diabetes as the outcome of eating too much, living a bad lifestyle. We know thats not true, for type 2s as well. Cant blame these people who just think of us as pigs, but its just natural that people dont know everything, there are conditions you dont know very well too.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm definitely not ashamed. No one really knows the cause of T2 (as far as I know) but it's believed to be a combination of factors including genetics and it would be a bit silly to be ashamed that they developed something because of the genes handed down to them by their parents?

I have never noticed any of the attitude from T1s that you refer to on this forum. I did experience it at work but not directed at me - the T1 concerned was 'educated' by me and he later apologised.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really not sure where your motivation came from to write this but I have to say it is utter ********.
We live in a world that is constantly changing, now possibly more than ever. To make a distinction between Types is beyond strange....
I am T2 and know little about T1, but reading some of their posting I amazed with what they have to do to keep their BG's in the window and I would not wish any type on anyone...
With Glucose and it's effects..... we really are "in this together".

D

Diabeticliberty

We are a support forum and as such we should unite against the common enemy which is the possible rather nasty complications that poor control can lead us all to regardless of type. If I attempted to set myself aside from any or all of the rest of you on here regardless of type then I would be insulting all of you and insulting myself. I wish for all the world that there were no types because there was no diabetic condition but sadly there is. Let's stand together against it please

Reactions: kim2109 and hankjam

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Have to agree with that @hankjam .

Divorcing the various types is a waste of time and to many, frustrating. I read many T1 posts simply to understand what they have to live with and I suspect they do the same with T2s

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am I ashamed? Nope. I am not interested in what others think.

Quite frankly m'dear I don't give a ****!

Reactions: nabil khalaf

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have diabetes.

I am grateful that my diabetes is type 1 rather than type 2, because if I chose to, actually I could eat a 'normal' diet and just bolus the right amount of insulin for the carbs. Job done.

My type 2 friends aren't really able to have such a - I can't think of a better term - straightforward - approach.

I'd rather have neither type. And yes, my type 1 is a pain in the neck, and I give it priority in my life - and frankly I'd rather not. But I don't feel in any way 'above', to quote the OP, the type 2 community. If I had to be in one of the boats, I'd prefer the type 1 one than the type 2 one.

Huge respect to those living with either type - but I feel in many ways type 2 is the one Snapsy would struggle more to cope with.

Could we all just have a group hug, please?

:)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not at all ashamed of being T2. What I am ashamed of is of the times I have let myself down by not taken good care of my condition.

Conversely, when I am on top of things I actually get a sense of pride and achievement at the discipline involved.

I have found this forum to be very supportive and have not seen any split along Type lines.

To be honest although I do not have the personal experience to offer practical advice to T1s, I will often respond to posts by T1s offering emotional support where this is appropriate.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Scaremongering programmes and media are to blame for the perception that Type 2 is a consequence of poor diet / indolence or ignorance.

Totally untrue, but the perception is out there, have experienced it myself unfortunately.

Mutual respect for various types of diabetes and how it affects those with it would be great.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, not ashamed of having diabetes. Frustrated at times, strangely grateful at others - I'm now probably healthier than I was because of all the dietary changes and exercise changes now in place which after two years are almost automatic, especially now I'm accepting it will always be subject to change.

I explain to anyone who's interested enough to ask which type I have, I continue to de-bunk myths, I don't bother with those who are convinced they know better than me how I should be dealing with it, I ignore the press and try not to scare my neighbour by shouting at the radio if the news has yet another diabetes story liable to make me cross.

I am enormously grateful to several Type 1s in my life who have been supportive since day 1, two of whom sought me out at work as soon as the gossip grapevine had got to work post diagnosis and made it abundantly clear they would be supportive any way they could, as they'd always appreciated the support I'd apparently given on some of their difficult days.They never make me bad about being Type 2 as we respect each other's struggles and don't try to give inappropriate advice.

Reactions: miszu

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not ashamed, however I have been on diabete courses and I do feel sorry for the people who are grossly overweight and expecting a miracle drug to fix them.
I'm lucky I suppose I have had the will power to lose 3 stone , stop my meds and now seeing normal bloods although I do eat low carb but do have the odd big meal.. and the best of it is I feel great !!!
There are those of us who have willpower by the shed load but still don't lose weight even though they follow a low carb diet....just saying. :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Many new members (not their fault) are under the mistaken belief that simply losing weight to assist in controlling diabetes is straightforward. It is not as it's multi faceted in what you do and how you're built. Weight loss for me was easy, not so for many others due to their genes or other reasons

Reactions: natariimei