Type 2 Insulin Pump.

Talha Saeed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone i want a sincere advice from the people who are using the insulin pump because i have type 2 diebetes since my birth and em facing it properly but now em feeling that my insulin dose is not balancing my sugar level throughout a day.So please tell me that the insulin pump is better for me or not...its pros and cons and em 23 years now and em waiting for the sincere suggestions.Thanks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey everyone i want a sincere advice from the people who are using the insulin pump because i have type 2 diebetes since my birth and em facing it properly but now em feeling that my insulin dose is not balancing my sugar level throughout a day.So please tell me that the insulin pump is better for me or not...its pros and cons and em 23 years now and em waiting for the sincere suggestions.Thanks.

Hello Taliha - Has your diabetes type been confirmed by your doctors? The reason I ask is I would suggest it to be extremely unusual to be type 2 since birth?

In UK very, very few people with type two have pumps. That is more common for people with type one.

Talha Saeed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah its confirmed.
And em using the dose of 50 units morning and 40 at evening.
But now em feeling that this dose does,nt fullfil my requirements...is insulin pump is suitable or not?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are type 2 since birth? That doesn't seem medically possible, a diagnosis of diabetes at birth is neonatal diabetes, not type 1 or type 2. When was your diagnosis with type 2 diabetes confirmed, how old were you?

What insulin are you using? If you are just on two shots a day that suggests a mixed insulin. The next step up wouldn't be an insulin pump, it would be a move to a basal bolus regime with multiple daily injections. If you don't understand how to use basal bolus on mdi you wouldn't be considered suitable for a pump whatever type of diabetes you have. It's essential to be able to carb count, know your insulin to carb ratio and have a good anticipation of your basal insulin requirements before moving to a pump.

It's also possible you aren't managing your mixed insulin very well. A fixed dose of mixed insulin will only be able to deal with a certain quantity of carbs being eaten. Have you been given advice on what quantity of carbs your insulin dose is designed to deal with? Are you sticking to that carb intake?

When you say your insulin dose doesn't fulfil your requirements do you mean it's not managing your blood sugar or it doesn't suit your lifestyle? Both are things to be taken account of when deciding on what might be an appropriate prescription.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
It sounds as if you may have double diabetes, type1 and 2 due to insulin resistance!
If you are in the UK you would need to be using MDI and adjusting your insulin to what you eat (carb counting)
A pump will only help if you understand carb counting and can adjust your insulin accordingly.

Talha Saeed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You are type 2 since birth? That doesn't seem medically possible, a diagnosis of diabetes at birth is neonatal diabetes, not type 1 or type 2. When was your diagnosis with type 2 diabetes confirmed, how old were you?

What insulin are you using? If you are just on two shots a day that suggests a mixed insulin. The next step up wouldn't be an insulin pump, it would be a move to a basal bolus regime with multiple daily injections. If you don't understand how to use basal bolus on mdi you wouldn't be considered suitable for a pump whatever type of diabetes you have. It's essential to be able to carb count, know your insulin to carb ratio and have a good anticipation of your basal insulin requirements before moving to a pump.

It's also possible you aren't managing your mixed insulin very well. A fixed dose of mixed insulin will only be able to deal with a certain quantity of carbs being eaten. Have you been given advice on what quantity of carbs your insulin dose is designed to deal with? Are you sticking to that carb intake?

When you say your insulin dose doesn't fulfil your requirements do you mean it's not managing your blood sugar or it doesn't suit your lifestyle? Both are things to be taken account of when deciding on what might be an appropriate prescription.

It was diagnosed at the age of 6. And the thing which I mentioned that this particular dose doesnt fullfil my requirements means the dose is not balancing my sugar level throughout a day. After eating my lunch i feel like high blood sugar which was never happened before but now em facing it. So thats why i was thinking to move towards insulin pump which can maintain my blood sugar level throughout a day.

M

Member34835

Where are you based btw? I think a pump will only help if you understand how to adjust doses to match food and the other variables such as illness, exercise and stress which affect your sugars. If I had insulin resistance and low levels of insulin as it sounds like you do then I would get advice on a basal/background and mealtime bolus regime plus a way to reduce how much insulin you need ie. by changing diet. I think you need direct help with that and this forum cannot advise you safely .