Honeymoon question

Thomas16200

Hello,
Im in the "honeymoon" phase here and i was wondering if its normal to require almost no insulin?
After first dka and diagnosis i needed the insulin for about a month or two otherwise my blood sugar would skyrocket, now it stays normal almost all day long with barely any insulin usage my cgm shows it rise when i eat then go back to normal.
Any idea how long this will go on?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Once my bg became 'normal ' I required very little insulin and sometimes none. Mostly a little. Affer about two years I require 'some' though not large amounts but I don't eat large amounts and I'm ultra low carb. My honeymoon lasted about two years. Tricky part was every day and meal was different but initially I required larger doses until bg got stable. Everyone's honeymoon is different. I found. The honeymoon more challenging as it 'did it own thing'. Now I just 'know'

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there Thomas, I was diagnosed T1D in March, slowly over the next couple of months my insulin needs reduced to the point where even 1 unit of long lasting caused my sugars to drift below 4 mid afternoon. A factor for me is excercise, I run at least 4 miles every day, usually 10k though, so this really helps insulin sensitivity and BGs are usually bang on. One odd thing that happened to me was during our family holiday to Florida, my BGs started to rise post meals again and I had to start having insulting again, I think this was due to bad diet, less running (only x3 3 mile runs), and sleep pattern changes. Since getting home I'm back into my running and eating normal/better (I've always tried to avoid being a carb binger) and I'm at the point where I don't need insulin again... it took 2 weeks of a holiday to swing things to needing insulin and 2 months to get back to a place where I no longer needed insulin - WEIRD!!!
Best thing we can do is keep checking BG's regular (mine is check 1st thing (generally 7ish due to dawn phenomenon) and the 2 hrs after food to make sure my failing pancreas is doing the business).
Long may the honeymoon continue! It's great! My wife is T1D so I know what's coming one day! Hope to eek my beta cell production out as long as I can!
Good luck!

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When i was first diagnosed i used 2 lantus and between 2-5 novo rapid. Now it's changed to 24 lantus and 6 novo rapid for meals. My honeymoon period lasted a year give it take a week

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
Im in the "honeymoon" phase here and i was wondering if its normal to require almost no insulin?
After first dka and diagnosis i needed the insulin for about a month or two otherwise my blood sugar would skyrocket, now it stays normal almost all day long with barely any insulin usage my cgm shows it rise when i eat then go back to normal.
Any idea how long this will go on?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Hello @Thomas16200:)

The insulin requirements of newly diagnosed T1's immediately post DX are somewhat of a lottery. Everyone is different and there is no set period, nor any real maximum time period for a honeymoon. Although we do know as much as "all good things must come to an end" and you'll ultimately find that exogenous insulin is an absolute must with T1D.

If I'm honest, a shorter honeymoon period is better. Better in the sense that you'll have more certainty around your dosing and insulin requirements once the honeymoon has ended.

It's also worth nothing that although there has been some friendly input from T2's and @Kristin251, the requirements for a T2 and LADA are somewhat different to "classic" T1; so it's likely that your honeymoon will be a good bit shorter than the 2 years in which @Kristin251 experienced, but maybe not:)

There is evidence that exogenous insulin therapy does help to preserve the remaining healthy beta cells you have. Basically, the demand and load on your pancreas is not as great. So in my opinion, I'd be taking insulin where you can - even if it is just tiny boluses or basal doses. But your care team will keep you right on that front.

I also wouldn't recommend going down the LC route that early into your diagnosis. I don't entirely agree with Dr Bernstein in his approaches to T1, although certain elements do make some sense. For me, living with T1 has changed as much of my life as I'm prepared to allow it to. But with good carbohydrate counting skills and an appreciation of glycemic load and bolusing options, I'm absolutely able to eat a normal diet based on carbs and still have tight BG control.

Do you have any other queries or concerns?:)

Reactions: Natt

Natt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I hear people say that control will be much more difficult post honeymoon.Is that really so? The greatest benefit of my son's honeymoon is overall stability of his blood sugars and very low occurence of only milder hypos (around 3.5).I would absolutely hate to see that gone and I am dreading the moment when his bs will be going up and down..and having more frequent hypos
Does it have to be like that always?

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Thomas16200

I'm T2 and not on medication.

Have you heard for Dr. Richard Bernstein? I read his book and remember he had something about strategies used in his practice to prolong the honeymoon period. This included tight/LC carb control to minimize the load on the pancreas and keep beta cells going longer. He has a NY, USA practice and a website you can find online.

Good Luck,

I have followed Dr Bernstein's method, although not to the letter, for 16 years. I went to visit him in 2010 and had 3 days one- to - one with him, learning more about his methods. He believes controlled blood sugars can extend the honeymoon period indefinitely. I remain on low doses of insulin after 17 years as T1D.

Reactions: AJB_81 and No2D

Thomas16200

Hello @Thomas16200:)

The insulin requirements of newly diagnosed T1's immediately post DX are somewhat of a lottery. Everyone is different and there is no set period, nor any real maximum time period for a honeymoon. Although we do know as much as "all good things must come to an end" and you'll ultimately find that exogenous insulin is an absolute must with T1D.

If I'm honest, a shorter honeymoon period is better. Better in the sense that you'll have more certainty around your dosing and insulin requirements once the honeymoon has ended.

It's also worth nothing that although there has been some friendly input from T2's and @Kristin251, the requirements for a T2 and LADA are somewhat different to "classic" T1; so it's likely that your honeymoon will be a good bit shorter than the 2 years in which @Kristin251 experienced, but maybe not:)

There is evidence that exogenous insulin therapy does help to preserve the remaining healthy beta cells you have. Basically, the demand and load on your pancreas is not as great. So in my opinion, I'd be taking insulin where you can - even if it is just tiny boluses or basal doses. But your care team will keep you right on that front.

I also wouldn't recommend going down the LC route that early into your diagnosis. I don't entirely agree with Dr Bernstein in his approaches to T1, although certain elements do make some sense. For me, living with T1 has changed as much of my life as I'm prepared to allow it to. But with good carbohydrate counting skills and an appreciation of glycemic load and bolusing options, I'm absolutely able to eat a normal diet based on carbs and still have tight BG control.

Do you have any other queries or concerns?:)
Not really at the moment, but i appreciate all the replies

AJB_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree, I would like the honeymoon to last as long as possible!!!

Certainly more factors to consider when the pancreas has totally stopped. My wife has been T1D since 4 yo, I'd been through DAFNE with her, 2 injections, the. On to 5 and now the pump, and we have had two children - all before I was diagnosed (or actually self diagnosed as we spotted all the signs ourselves and found my BGs at 30 mmol/l one day - no DKA for me). I'm under no illusions as to what a fully blown T1D will be like.

For me the honeymoon is a kind way of easing into fully blown T1D, in my opinion, & hope to keep it going as long as possible. I'm reading Dr Bernstains book at the moment. I can't take any long lasting insulting as I drift low so I'm experimenting with as much fast acting as I can with meals to help my failing pancreas as much as possible...

Everyone's different, these are just my thoughts. I'm currently running ~30 miles a week without worrying about insulin, things will change one day tho, I know this. My wife can't even cut the grass without reducing insulin or taking some glucose!

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Who wouldn't want the honeymoon to last forever?
OK, some would maybe want to change the spouse out through the years. But the mgt of the diabetes monster, it's definitely better for as long as it lasts, as it means that your own body/beta cells are still alive and contributing to keep the bg within reason. Especially so if you are on a low carb diet.
The length of the honeymoon depends on how quick your immune system kill off the beta cells, so a very individual thing. Some 20-30% do actually not have any at all. Most often it's some weeks to a few months long. A few up to a year or so. But very very rarely you have cases going beyond 1 year of honeymoon duration.
As new to diabetes there are already many new complex things to get into, so it actually doesn't make it any easier as the output of your beta cells may fluctuate from day to day during the honeymoon.
But as all honeymoons it comes to an end. So enjoy it as long as it lasts!