Newbie considering 8 week diet

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just started the Fast 800 (starting my third week). I have a major wobble every few days, but every time I get back to it I gain a little confidence - I have found I don't feel hungry, most of the time, and my energy levels and general outlook have improved.

I am doing the real food version, but not using the recipes in the book as they mostly don't appeal to me. Getting used to small portion sizes is quite a revelation for me... but seriously, it's the first time I've ever managed to stop gaining weight and get back to losing, when I've gone off the rails. So I give the 800 cal diet a big thumbs up!

ansonlockwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, sorry to hear you got no support from your doctor. I also read Mike Mosely's BSD book and then spoke to my Doctor Who was very supportive of me trying it. She made me do a week before I started the diet taking my bloods at fasting, 2hrs after breakfast, before lunch, after lunch, before dinner,after dinner then before bed and note them all down with the time and drink and food notes. I downloaded a sheet to do this from this website on fact that's how I found it. I took the sheet to see my doctor again 1 week later and we agreed I would start on the following Saturday so at home not work in case I had an adverse blood sugar effect (a low or high). We booked an HBA1C test for 2 weeks after that. The diet she left up to me but pointed out that the protein and fat were important with each to sustain me from being hungry and to use the superfoods as well. I use Fitness Pal app to work out my meal calories everyday. I struggled with the book recipes to be honest and with a bit of trial and error I now have a good varied regime. I have been type 2 for 12 years. When I started I was 182.5 lbs and now 6 weeks into the diet I am 164.2 lbs, my waist us 8cm less, so we'll on my way to losing between 10-15% of my body weight. I use the diabetes-M app to log my bloods and weight which is really useful. My bloods have been dropping steadily and I have now lost some of my daily diabetic medications. This has been the daunting bit as I have been taking pills for 12 years. Again a bit of trial and error. I exercise every other day for half an hour and walk a lot more when in the office to get my step up. A typical days eating for me is - breakfast: 150g low fat yogurt, 25 of sliced up dried apricots, 10g toasted flaked almonds (I have several variations but all yogurt, fruit, nuts-fat,fibre,protein), lunch: half tub low fat hummus, sliced carrot, pepper, radish, celery (is just one that I eat), dinner: 150g chicken breast, pork loin, Hulloumi, mixed boiled or roasted vegetables (again I eat a variety). Saturday lunch is usually portabello mushroom fried in extra Virginia olive oil with scrambled egg and tomato. I haven't felt hungry which was surprising when I started. All in all I would say go for it as it does seem to work. It's annoying that your doctor is unsupportive and just wants to hand out tablets straight off. Please feel free to come back and ask me anything you want and I will let you know my experiences so far. Hope this gas helped in brief.

Hi I have been diagnosed type 2 since 2013, however I suspect looking back at some medical symptoms I may have been borderline for a while. For the first couple of years I cut back on carbs, tested after every meal and became a bit confused over what sent the levels high. My weight dropped a little and I noticed I wasn't as tired etc.
This year after my annual test my 3 month average was back at 57, (definitely due to lifestyle, meals out with work, hotel food and working late, I am allowed to claim a substantial meal allowance if I work or am late home so it is easier to call in the local pub and order a meal than cook). I mentioned to my Doctor about the ND or 8 week low carb and he totally dismissed the idea, almost said it was a fad and the results are unjustified! He then wrote out a prescription for meteor in (1 x twice a day 500 mg and a statin). I was due to go skiing the following day so I asked about side affects, was told none! I stubbornly said I would start on meds when I get back off my hols as if it was important to get me on the medication you would have prescribed them after the blood results not wait a month, was feeling a bit cheesed off at the time.
The following week I skied every day, some days I did 15km others up to 24km, I ate the wrong food and drank beer, some of it was wheat beer, however by the end of the week I did not feel any ill affects for my indulgence other than aching legs! So I am convinced the exercise helps . while on Holiday I read Michael Mosely's book as was very motivated however I I still had in the back of my mind the warning from my doctor that as he said (I have had a good innings, just accept you are diabetic and take the meds) I also asked at the time if I could be tested to see if I am low output of insulin or don't respond to insulin, was told no tests are available!i left feeling a bit down to say the least.
I am keen to try the 8 week diet, without the backing or support of my GP, I have one or two concern about the recipes, a lot of the recipes include cucumber or courgettes, both I appear to be allergic to if I eat them they may an appearance about 30mins to a hour later! A shame because I actually like the taste.any ideas what I could replace those ingredients with? Secondly I have quite a high fibre diet, did have IBS a few years ago and I am concerned that I won't be regular, I often have to take a fibrogel drink to keep things moving! How would that affect me? Sorry for the long post just needed to get things written down!
Dean

GerryDavies

Type of diabetes
HCP
Hi I have been diagnosed type 2 since 2013, however I suspect looking back at some medical symptoms I may have been borderline for a while. For the first couple of years I cut back on carbs, tested after every meal and became a bit confused over what sent the levels high. My weight dropped a little and I noticed I wasn't as tired etc.
This year after my annual test my 3 month average was back at 57, (definitely due to lifestyle, meals out with work, hotel food and working late, I am allowed to claim a substantial meal allowance if I work or am late home so it is easier to call in the local pub and order a meal than cook). I mentioned to my Doctor about the ND or 8 week low carb and he totally dismissed the idea, almost said it was a fad and the results are unjustified! He then wrote out a prescription for meteor in (1 x twice a day 500 mg and a statin). I was due to go skiing the following day so I asked about side affects, was told none! I stubbornly said I would start on meds when I get back off my hols as if it was important to get me on the medication you would have prescribed them after the blood results not wait a month, was feeling a bit cheesed off at the time.
The following week I skied every day, some days I did 15km others up to 24km, I ate the wrong food and drank beer, some of it was wheat beer, however by the end of the week I did not feel any ill affects for my indulgence other than aching legs! So I am convinced the exercise helps . while on Holiday I read Michael Mosely's book as was very motivated however I I still had in the back of my mind the warning from my doctor that as he said (I have had a good innings, just accept you are diabetic and take the meds) I also asked at the time if I could be tested to see if I am low output of insulin or don't respond to insulin, was told no tests are available!i left feeling a bit down to say the least.
I am keen to try the 8 week diet, without the backing or support of my GP, I have one or two concern about the recipes, a lot of the recipes include cucumber or courgettes, both I appear to be allergic to if I eat them they may an appearance about 30mins to a hour later! A shame because I actually like the taste.any ideas what I could replace those ingredients with? Secondly I have quite a high fibre diet, did have IBS a few years ago and I am concerned that I won't be regular, I often have to take a fibrogel drink to keep things moving! How would that affect me? Sorry for the long post just needed to get things written down!
Dean
LCHiFi (low carb, high fibre) is the way to go, follow that mantra and you won't go far wrong. Your GP seems to be a bit of a robot, not keeping up with the science. Try fiberflour

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHiFi (low carb, high fibre) is the way to go, follow that mantra and you won't go far wrong. Your GP seems to be a bit of a robot, not keeping up with the science. Try fiberflour
This thread is quite old so I hope you don't expect a response...

Reactions: Fruitella