Low Carb and Fat

Fritter65

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
As I understand it and I may be hopelessly wrong Diabetes can be due to pancreas not working so efficiently or due to inflammation of the pancreas

Foods recommended to help the pancreas include low fat dairy etc avoiding if possible full fat cuts of meat etc?

How then would this fit in with the low Carb approach as this requires fat for energy?

I,m confused!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it and I may be hopelessly wrong Diabetes can be due to pancreas not working so efficiently or due to inflammation of the pancreas

Foods recommended to help the pancreas include low fat dairy etc avoiding if possible full fat cuts of meat etc?

How then would this fit in with the low Carb approach as this requires fat for energy?

I,m confused!

Where did you get that information from?

Which type of diabetes are you talking about?

If you are talking about type 2 diabetes, it is caused either because the pancreas produces insufficient insulin OR because it produces enough insulin but that insulin doesn't work properly because the cells have become resistant to insulin.

Pancreatic inflammation or pancreatitis can cause a different sort of diabetes known as Type 3c.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease caused by antibodies killing off the pancreas beta cells.

Fritter65

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi thanks for response. I was looking on the web for info about inflammation of pancreas. so I suppose my question would be if you had type 3c Diabetes would the low carb diet be appropriate?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume we are talking about Type 2 diabetes.
Fat in the diet is not the main culprit as far as build up of fat in and around the body is concerned. Carbohydrates are what make you fat and put fat around your organs. Carbs do this by stimulating insulin production (the fat building hormone). In a T2 diabetic, the insulin is now longer processing the carbs correctly, so there is a build up of both insulin and sugar in the blood and around the body - this is bad news. Many people have found that avoiding carbs avoids the problem.
Fat does not create problems for the typical diabetic and, arguably is the way, as human animals, that we should be getting most of our energy, not via carbs and sugars.
Sally

sarahmorter2

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi thanks for response. I was looking on the web for info about inflammation of pancreas. so I suppose my question would be if you had type 3c Diabetes would the low carb diet be appropriate?
Hi. if you have been advised that you are pre-diabetic, I'd say that it's likely that you are T2 Diabetic - this is by far the largest percentage of diabetics. However, it's important that you know what type of diabetes is ailing you. Ask your health care provider to clear this up for you. If you are T2, low carb, high fat is a fantastic way to control your diabetes. Good luck.