Type 1 Eyes

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all, I hope everyone is well.
I’ve posted in here before, but I really need someone’s advice/reassurance.

since I stopped drinking crazy sugar drinks, wine, smoking etc which were really damaging my health (I was very ignorant towards my diabetes as a teen and now dearly regret it), my eyesight is now awful.
My first wake up call was when my vision became impaired, but now I’ve stopped the sugar intake (my overall bloods have come down miraculously fast), my eyes are terrible! It’s been at least 6 months or more now. Everything is grainy, pixelated and when I wake up I can barely see!! The head of the eye screening at the hospital said that because my bloods were uncontrolled for many years that my brain is trying to get used to the change, but it’s been 6 months!! I’m very worried, I am 19 years old and feel as though I’m losing my vision rapidly, but every doctor I tell says it’s nothing they can sort! Anyone who’s had eye problems due to blood glucose control please help me, I feel so trapped and lonely thanks in advance x

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Good morning @samowen268,please be assured if the damage done is from poor blood sugar control it is reversable,
151d0c0180fac2b41e15ad2827dbe930.jpg
Dr Richard Bernstein,who is himself a type1 gives very detailed understanding of what diabetes is and the effects and how to set things on road to recovery,you can get his book on line from Amazon or kindle,I am t2 and was diagnosed oct 13 with blood sugars of 28.8 mmols,i had very bad neuropathy in my feet,which felt like walking on broken glass,it took nearly 8 months of very good blood sugar control averaging 5 mmols before my feet finally felt ok again....so your on the right forum for help and encouragement...the rest is up to you,if there is anything i can do,to help,clive

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @samowen268 ,

Is the vision issue only on waking?
Does your eyesight normalise as the morning/day moves on & you become more alert?

Reactions: samowen268

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning @samowen268,please be assured if the damage done is from poor blood sugar control it is reversable,
151d0c0180fac2b41e15ad2827dbe930.jpg
Dr Richard Bernstein,who is himself a type1 gives very detailed understanding of what diabetes is and the effects and how to set things on road to recovery,you can get his book on line from Amazon or kindle,I am t2 and was diagnosed oct 13 with blood sugars of 28.8 mmols,i had very bad neuropathy in my feet,which felt like walking on broken glass,it took nearly 8 months of very good blood sugar control averaging 5 mmols before my feet finally felt ok again....so your on the right forum for help and encouragement...the rest is up to you,if there is anything i can do,to help,clive

Thank you, this is really assuring, my bloods were running high for so long, they’re still not perfect but are almost always under 10 now, I have bad days now and then but really trying hard.
I get pain in my legs when walking etc too, although when I was taking Vitamin D supplements this disappeared so I’ve put in a new prescription for them! Just hope it doesn’t take too much time for my eyes to get better, it’s very distracting :( thank you I’ll check this out!!

Reactions: Clivethedrive

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @samowen268 ,

Is the vision issue only on waking?
Does your eyesight normalise as the morning/day moves on & you become more alert?

Hi, when I wake up my vision is absolutely awful, after about ten minutes it restores to as normal as it gets but it’s still not good through the whole day, I can see everything fine in daylight, but in darker areas everything is grainy/pixelated/fuzzy and it’s really scaring me, also when I look at the sky/lights/bright surfaces I can see millions of tiny “worm” like things swimming around, it’s all so stressful!

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been to an ophthalmologist to get your eyes checked? If not, it's a good idea to do that. I have seen both ophthalmologist and optometrist. I need glasses for distance and glasses for reading. I also have optic disc drusen in both eyes. I hope you can get some answers as sounds like it's scary for you.

Reactions: samowen268

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been to an ophthalmologist to get your eyes checked? If not, it's a good idea to do that. I have seen both ophthalmologist and optometrist. I need glasses for distance and glasses for reading. I also have optic disc drusen in both eyes. I hope you can get some answers as sounds like it's scary for you.

I have been to an opticians, who gave me glasses and believed I was straining my eyes, but they didn’t help at all, I tried for weeks but everything was still grainy & pixelated, they looked in my eyes and said everything looked normal, I went to a diabetic eye screening and they said there were a couple of tiny bleeds but it would take hundreds for me to be experiencing what I am right now, so I’m at a lost end, I kept going to the doctors and even went to A&E because at one point I thought I was going to lose my sight, I kept getting the same answer from everyone that my eyes haven’t adjusted to the BG control changes but it’s but over 6 months, I’m getting very worried :( x

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
With respect none of the above are up to speed re diabetes,please check out Dr Bernstein for sound and proven advice.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
With respect none of the above are up to speed re diabetes,please check out Dr Bernstein for sound and proven advice.

None of the above are up to speed? Are you referring to responses to posts, or medical professionals mentioned? Anytime I have a concern about my health with symptoms presenting, I seek medical attention first off. I would hope anyone else would also.... a book comes in handy at times for advice, but it's by no means a substitute for a doctor. :)

Boothyboo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushy peas and mushrooms.
Rude behaviour and discrimination
I have been to an opticians, who gave me glasses and believed I was straining my eyes, but they didn’t help at all, I tried for weeks but everything was still grainy & pixelated, they looked in my eyes and said everything looked normal, I went to a diabetic eye screening and they said there were a couple of tiny bleeds but it would take hundreds for me to be experiencing what I am right now, so I’m at a lost end, I kept going to the doctors and even went to A&E because at one point I thought I was going to lose my sight, I kept getting the same answer from everyone that my eyes haven’t adjusted to the BG control changes but it’s but over 6 months, I’m getting very worried :( x

Boothyboo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushy peas and mushrooms.
Rude behaviour and discrimination
Hi
The glucose affects the shape of the lens in the eye, this can cause blurred vision and distorted vision and can take months and months to rectify. Everything you have been advised is true but difficult for you when your vision is distorted.
I myself have had Type 1 diabetes for 33 years and worked in eye screening for over 10 years and quite a few patients complained of similar issue.
If you have had screening and seen an ophthalmologist, try not to worry, easier said than done I know

jackors

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi hopefully you are going to be fine I was like you when I was teenager am now 53 if it was caused by bad diabetes control it can be sorted but like everything else with diabetes it will take a little time good luck

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using DCUK Forum mobile app

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
The glucose affects the shape of the lens in the eye, this can cause blurred vision and distorted vision and can take months and months to rectify. Everything you have been advised is true but difficult for you when your vision is distorted.
I myself have had Type 1 diabetes for 33 years and worked in eye screening for over 10 years and quite a few patients complained of similar issue.
If you have had screening and seen an ophthalmologist, try not to worry, easier said than done I know

This made my day hearing from someone who has worked in this speciality, thank you for easing my mind, needed to read this today ! x

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got some new glasses for driving after being diagnosed with Type 2. I had found my vision getting more blurry. High blood glucose levels does cause the lenses in the eyes to swell. Avoiding food with high levels of sugar and gradually stopping all high carb food helped me reduce my fasting blood glucose from 13 down to around 6.5 in a few weeks. I think it takes the eyes a couple of months to recover from the glucose swelling. I had a retinopathy scan a few months later and everything was clear.

Elevated glucose levels causes nerve damage and that is why people get neuropathy. If you want to avoid complications then you need to keep glucose levels low and avoid frequent spikes in blood glucose. Dr Bernstein does have some good advice for that and can produce some good results for people with Type 1 e.g. https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/...in-diet-changed-my-life-with-type-1-diabetes/