Type 1 Cold/Sinus Infection? When to see GP?

victry77

Hi, I'me recently getting over a cold that started showing signs exactly 2 weeks ago. Felt mildly sniffly for the first couple of days, felt rather groggy the third day, then by the fourth day I was wiped out and never left the couch. Typical cold symptoms and they did hit me hard.

BG was low-mid teens almost constantly. No ketones, though. By the fifth and sixth day I started to feel better, but by the evening on the sixth day (Christmas Eve) I started to feel very groggy again with an increased temperature. This last till Boxing Day and since then I have been improving, and felt much a lot better by yesterday.

However, I'm left with this lingering sinus pain, esp on my left side. Over the eye, nose, cheek and upper teeth. There is also quite a bit of pressure and I keep feeling the urge to massage my gums. Mucus production was initially green then yellow and now is clear and almost gone. My nose is still getting blocked, though, and I'm using nasal drops.

The sinus things seems to mostly kick off of an evening and my temperature increases slightly.

I've taken paracetamol this evening but it hasn't done anything for the sinus aching and again, my temp has increased (from 36.5 to 37.1).

Are antibiotics given for sinusitis? I keep reading conflicting things but don't really want to leave it without getting checked for much longer.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'me recently getting over a cold that started showing signs exactly 2 weeks ago. Felt mildly sniffly for the first couple of days, felt rather groggy the third day, then by the fourth day I was wiped out and never left the couch. Typical cold symptoms and they did hit me hard.

BG was low-mid teens almost constantly. No ketones, though. By the fifth and sixth day I started to feel better, but by the evening on the sixth day (Christmas Eve) I started to feel very groggy again with an increased temperature. This last till Boxing Day and since then I have been improving, and felt much a lot better by yesterday.

However, I'm left with this lingering sinus pain, esp on my left side. Over the eye, nose, cheek and upper teeth. There is also quite a bit of pressure and I keep feeling the urge to massage my gums. Mucus production was initially green then yellow and now is clear and almost gone. My nose is still getting blocked, though, and I'm using nasal drops.

The sinus things seems to mostly kick off of an evening and my temperature increases slightly.

I've taken paracetamol this evening but it hasn't done anything for the sinus aching and again, my temp has increased (from 36.5 to 37.1).

Are antibiotics given for sinusitis? I keep reading conflicting things but don't really want to leave it without getting checked for much longer.

As your "outputs" are now clear by your own statement, it seems less likely you need antibioticsc, although you do appear to have sinus pain.

In your shoes, initially, I would try inhaling a mildly menthol vapour over a bot owl in the first instance. That could help ease any residual sinus pressure and introduce some moisture.

If it continues beyond the holiday, best have it checked.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Temperature

The NHS says that a normal temperature is around 37C (98.6F), although it depends on:
  • The person
  • Their age - (older = lower)
  • What they've been doing
  • The time of day - (0.5C/0.9F lower morning, higher late afternoon/evening)
  • Which part of the body you take the temperature from
It is generally accepted that normal body temperature ranges between 36.1C (97F) to 37.2C (99F).

Reactions: victry77

victry77

Temperature

The NHS says that a normal temperature is around 37C (98.6F), although it depends on:
  • The person
  • Their age - (older = lower)
  • What they've been doing
  • The time of day - (0.5C/0.9F lower morning, higher late afternoon/evening)
  • Which part of the body you take the temperature from
It is generally accepted that normal body temperature ranges between 36.1C (97F) to 37.2C (99F).

Hi, yes, you are right about this, but when it rises to above 37C , I can feel it in the sense that my head/face feels overly hot and stuffy but my torso is a little cold. It may be like this for a 2-3hrs then settles back down again.

majsinus

As far as I know, the use of antibiotics is strictly avoided when you are suffering from sinus. According to the medical advice, your body should be able to cope with mild sinus on its own. Intake of external antibiotics can resist the production of the antibiotics in your body this might cause you more harm than good