JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Seems an easy fix but what happens when you stop taking them that's assuming that they work.

I would have patience get back to low carb on a regular basis and restart your exercise regime when able.

But that's just my opinion you must do what you feel is in your best interest.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I would ask the Doctor before taking these if taking other meds for Diabetes... can not be too carefull

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i would go low carb High Fat. I was not loosing weight even though I exercised every day, so I went on a LCHF & then reduced to Keto & in 3 weeks on Keto I lost 4.3Kgms of weight Yes i exercise every day by Running 3 days a week & going for a walk the other 4.
I would not even dabble with tablets for weight loss unless prescribed by my GP

Reactions: Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never found metformin made any difference to my weight or appetite, and never gained when I stopped taking it. I've both lost and maintained weight on my LCHF diet over four years by keeping the carbs right down and adjusting the amount of fats I eat, and I definitely would choose this over any magic pills.... I personally don't see the point or the logic in eating carbs and then taking pills to block their effect.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
100% agree with @Robbity .
You have no idea what these miracle pills can do to your metabolism. It just is not worth the experiment.

Metformin helps some people lose weight because it is an appetite suppressant. If it helped you, then stopping taking it can at worst only make you hungry .... answer to that is tweak the diet, reduce carbs, increase fats and protein. That way you won't be hungry.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I took fat blockers (I think they were called zenecal then) they were prescribed by my gp. My friend also took them (she called them s##t tablets) because that was the affect they had on you. They were horrible, unless you ate no fat at all you would suffer the consequences and if you didn't eat any fat what was the point in taking them? Obviously going lchf wouldn't go hand in hand with taking the pills. I have had a weight problem for most of my life and have tried many different diets and pills and even surgery and am still overweight. The diet pills I was prescribed by my gp another time had little effect and then was found to have caused several deaths and were taken off the market. The gastric band was yet another mistake and I'm still living with the consequences. I can honestly say that the lchf seems to be working for me and even better I'm in control of what I eat or don't eat.
By the way they're not carb blockers , they're fat blockers. They also cost £25 for 10 days! Save your money!

Last edited:

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Sparrow456, good work coming off the metformin, or was it a case of not tolerating the drug? Were you on a LCHF diet? Did you lose weight? Perhaps you need to revisit your pattern of eating - have you let more carbs creep into your eating? LCHF isn't a diet - it is a way of life and needs to be completely committed to for continued success!

If you were able to lose weight before without the interference of drugs ie: XLS, then you can do it again!! These drugs are full of chemicals that our bodies are not used to and could reject and cause more problems than a 6 pound weight gain! Easy promises to desperate consumers make for very rich megacompanies:) I would say, get to it, one day at a time, log what you eat every day and be honest with yourself!! Blessings/L

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I agree with Deb1960 - I was prescribed the fat blockers by my doctor - I saw him after a month when I informed him I would no longer be taking them - needless to say doctor not happy about that decision - but I saw no point, they had no effect what so ever on me - mainly I believe because at that time I was not eating fat in any amount that caused the effects of scouring out your system, for which I was very thankful. My doctor believed that because I am carrying so much weight I must have a diet high in fat - it was not the case then.
Now trying to keep the carbs low I am eating more fat but it is still not massive in my diet. I did manage to lose 4 stone in weight by reducing the carbs and upping the exercise, I have struggled to maintain this but I am still working on it and trying not to be too hard on myself because for me I need to go very very low carb to really have any impact on my weight and I struggle with that.
I wish you all the best with whatever decision you come to.

solu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you are off Metformin, are you taking gliclizide or insulin? I ask because I stopped taking all diabetes meds a year ago, am now taking syntra5 and Berberine to control my levels. When o was first diagnosed, I put on 3stone in the first year.doong as I was told, to eat little and often. O suffered from frequent lows in the middle of the night, having to go down and stuff my face. That was a he result of the Metformin taking my glucose too low. Since being on Syntra and berberine, I no longer have any lows, and lost so much weight, and eat a lot less. I can go on three day water only diets, and always Chech my glucose readings during these times.

solu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you are off Metformin, are you taking gliclizide or insulin? I ask because I stopped taking all diabetes meds a year ago, am now taking syntra5 and Berberine to control my levels. When o was first diagnosed, I put on 3stone in the first year.doong as I was told, to eat little and often. O suffered from frequent lows in the middle of the night, having to go down and stuff my face. That was a he result of the Metformin taking my glucose too low. Since being on Syntra and berberine, I no longer have any lows, and lost so much weight, and eat a lot less. I can go on three day water only diets, and always Chech my glucose readings during these times.
My glucose levels are always around 7_10. Your liver kicks in and gives your body the glucose it needs to carry on. This also helps to reduce the clucose stored in your liver. My husband and myself were diagnosed 13 yrs ago, and he died of liver failure in 16. I took my self off all meds and pills after the hat and vowed I would find another way. These work..

solu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I was first diagnosed, my fasting readings were 17 mornings, by bedtime I was over. the max on my meter. (33) I was put on Metformin, 2,3times p day insulin (60) gliclizide,(80) &statins (80) trying to find what we could eat was, as you all know, a minefield.