Anyone seen a diabetes nurse for insulin resistance?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got an appointment in a week, to talk about blood sugar levels with the diabetes nurse. I've got pcos and ir. My hba1c level was normal. I don't know what the actual result was, just normal and no further action required.

I just don't know how a nurse is going to help me. I want to go back on metformin but the doctor said it's not something they prescribe for pcos.

Anyone been in my situation?

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I thought metformin was a staple for pcos. A good friend is on it for that reason. Have a look around, do nice have guidelines on this?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this on the NICE website. It was published in 2013 so things may have changed, but it does appear that Metformin is not licensed for use for PCOS.

Metformin is licensed in the UK for the control of blood glucose in people with type 2 diabetes. It has also been used to treat polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Metformin is not licensed in the UK for this indication so its use in PCOS is off-label.

https://www.nice.org.uk/advice/esuom6/chapter/Key-points-from-the-evidence

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've always had it off label, they've always had to reiterate that it's off label. I wonder if there's anything else you can take instead of metformin?