Distal Pancretectomy 2012

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with type 2 Dec 17 (hba1c 53) after bleed behind eye was picked up at routine eye test. This is all new territory and I have gone lc mod fat and have ordered a meter.
Since then I have found out there is type 3c. I had distal pancretectomy 2012 due to mucinous cystic neoplasm (retained my spleen) and now take Creon with food to help digestion. I also have a bile acid malabsorption which results in not being able to digest fats and take a daily dose of codeine to solve that issue.
I am concerned that my pancreas could be struggling to produce enough insulin rather than my gb being too high. I would like to know so no further damage caused. I have a DN review early March so what should I do or ask or do about it? Thanks everyone.

Starburst02

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 2 Dec 17 (hba1c 53) after bleed behind eye was picked up at routine eye test. This is all new territory and I have gone lc mod fat and have ordered a meter.
Since then I have found out there is type 3c. I had distal pancretectomy 2012 due to mucinous cystic neoplasm (retained my spleen) and now take Creon with food to help digestion. I also have a bile acid malabsorption which results in not being able to digest fats and take a daily dose of codeine to solve that issue.
I am concerned that my pancreas could be struggling to produce enough insulin rather than my gb being too high. I would like to know so no further damage caused. I have a DN review early March so what should I do or ask or do about it? Thanks everyone.
I am not involved in the medical field. So the following is based on personal experience. The distal surgery you had removed a section of the pancreas, which decreased the amount of islet cells that produce insulin. I think you are correct in thinking that you are producing less insulin - or that your insulin insufficiency has contributed to your diabetes. You may actually have Type 3C diabetes. The high blood sugar is likely a result of the insulin insufficiency, similar to Type 1 diabetes. A low carb diet is key to treatment of any of the types of diabetes. You may also need either medication (for example Metformin if you can tolerate it), or insulin to lower you A1C numbers. If you are overweight, there is of course the possibility you have insulin resistance rather than insufficiency. Some people who have the distal pancreatic surgery develop diabetes as a direct result of surgery but many do not (based on NIH research). Depends on many things such as how much of your pancreas was removed. Your doctors should be able to determine which type diabetes you have. If you are indeed Type 3C, the oral meds they prescribe for Type 2 can cause loads of problems with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar which is dangerous).

I had surgery to remove a tumor in the head of my pancreas in 2002. I have taken Creon to help digestion since surgery. Creon has a known side affect of raising blood sugar levels. It can further complicate treatment of diabetes resulting from pancreatic surgery. I am 65 years old, so an A1C of 53 (7.0) is not as big of a concern for the long terms complications many diabetics face. If you are young, the doctors will likely want you to have tighter control to prevent the possibility of further damage. (The problem with the bleed behind your eye would have scared me half to death.)

If I was in your situation today, knowing what I have learned over the years, I would want a clear answer on the type of diabetes I have, usable advice on diet, nutrition and exercise to reduce my glucose levels, the A1C range I should try for, and I would want to know if the best way for me to reach that goal as quickly as possible and maintain it would be through insulin therapy.

I realize my response is a bit long-winded so I apologize if this is more info. than you actually wanted. Sometimes it is hard to find others who have had pancreatic resection to share experience. I live in the state of Georgia, USA. Wishing you the best luck for a good outcome.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. Thank you so very much for your detailed info and it was just what I needed. I am now determined to push for a proper diagnosis (which they were n t much interested in last time) but wanted me to take Metformin and Statin which I politely declined. In view of your post that was a wise if uninformed decision by me.
I am off out for the day now but my review is 7 March so I will post then if I get closer to proper diagnosis. You have given me the courage I needed to persist, my life after all. Thanks again. Btw I will be 60 this year, you did ask!

karen diana

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I also had my tail of my pancreas removed and went onto mixed insulin which most of my reading are between 4.5 and 6.5 , I also had my spleen removed and some liver, also on creons, but must be honest stopped taking them 6 weeks ago, levels haven’t be affected at all, I have had no visible effects from stopping the creons, will wait for my next blood test, so I have mixed insulin am and tea time with a metformin . I am classed as a T3 c diabetic. Good luck