Accu-Chek

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Bluetit1802, you can bet your bottom dollar - or their bottom dollar - they do realise non-insulin users buy meters! Sweden, for instance, gives out an Accu-Chek meter to any type two that wants to check their blood glucose. New Zealand used to use AccuChek before they horribly changed over to CareSens, and also gives out a BG meter to any diabetic who asks for it. Standard procedure for diabetic care of both types, all kinds, in the two countries I know about at least. Roche (the german accuchek company?) would know that whole countries do this, absolutely.

The dodgey unsubstantiated dietary advice is the same food pyramid advice all over the western world and we all get, with the same merely associative studies, and not evidence based research - like the suggestion we eat small portions of lean meats bit. I mean if WHO does it, why not Roche?!

I just think it is soooo sad so many of us are seriously sick in the BG regulation department, (well, I'm speaking for myself here) and a company like this can't recommend to us we eat pork fat and lots of meat - which is awfully good for keeping lower stable blood glucose levels, won't spike you, provides the full range of nutrition we need for health and energy, and our species has been eating it for..... hundreds and thousands of years. (Unlike the pita bread pockets in the picture.) I find this sad when I am in a good mood. It makes me angry, and frustrated for us, the rest of the time! (Like now...)

BTW, I had a lovely German doctor in Sweden, and she told me specifically not to eat pork, now I had T2D. (Hence me using the example of pork above.)

She was a lovely doctor, well-meaning, fabulous, and I respected her in many ways. But ridiculous dietary advice! It is everywhere.

Reactions: flexi06

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
I have a few meters that where sent to me for free.
Accu-Chek send me a monthly newsletter.
Just thought the dietary advice was interesting.

https://www.accu-chek.ca/en/nutrition/colourful-flavourful-wonderful
Makes sense to me. If people follow the dietary advice by eating bread, bagel, pita bread, etc... their blood sugar level will go up, they will become more ill and need to keep using meters and test strips. But if they eat low carbohydrate keto diet and reverse their diabetes no one will use meters and test strips. Like big pharma the meter manufacturers want you to stay sick so you will need their products to stay alive.

Reactions: flexi06

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here in DK we all can get a Akku-chek for free , also type ones only on metformin, but the sticks are rather Expensive , I think the company’s strategy is to give the meter for free and earn their money from selling their sticks ... if you only buy 10 sticks here in DK it costs close to 7£

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As a new-Swede in Sweden (paying the high taxes mind!), I had a whole bunch of accucheck test strips and replacement needle-thingies sent to me at three month intervals. All I had to do was cut off a strip of paper, put my ID number and address on it and post it off for the next one to come a few months later. I can't remember exactly how many exactly, but I got enough that when I was doing a VLCD I had no problems with testing frequently before, during, and after. I was able to get a lot of data. For all my experiments.

Just googling the country acronym DK...Ah ok! Denmark. (I'm forgetting more than just the number of test strips I got when living Scando-side.) You have to pay for the test strips yourself @Freema? That's no good. I hope the state and local taxes are lower for you then!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a new-Swede in Sweden (paying the high taxes mind!), I had a whole bunch of accucheck test strips and replacement needle-thingies sent to me at three month intervals. All I had to do was cut off a strip of paper, put my ID number and address on it and post it off for the next one to come a few months later. I can't remember exactly how many exactly, but I got enough that when I was doing a VLCD I had no problems with testing frequently before, during, and after. I was able to get a lot of data. For all my experiments.

Just googling the country acronym DK...Ah ok! Denmark. (I'm forgetting more than just the number of test strips I got when living Scando-side.) You have to pay for the test strips yourself @Freema? That's no good. I hope the state and local taxes are lower for you then!

well no I can get around 150 teststripes for free in a year as long as I am only taking metformin (which is far too few ) ... if I had to use insuline I could get them all for free... ..

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My goodness! Quite right! 150 per year is WAY too few.

I think I had a really on-to-it diabetes nurse at my medical centre in Sweden. She even had groups of diabetics on the VLCD regime/Newcastle diet, and monitoring them in bulk :).

To get prescribed test strips (not free but very very very low cost) in NZ, my home country, I have to be designated "a selected individual", ho ho ho. And again, needs a very supportive medical professional to do that? There might be a loop hole like that in the Danish regulations?

(CareSens is not like Accu-Chek at all, and diabetics and many health professionals in NZ begged the powers that be not to switch from AccuChek which is wonderfuly - accurate! To the less accurate CareSens. CareSens is cheaper. The switch was made. And I feel hugely for the parents of type 1 children in particular, with having to depend on a less dependable measuring device, for test strips covered by the state.)

I personally do a combination of the subsidised/almost free CareSens strips, and buy my own Accu-chek strips online. I use the AccuChek strips to calibrate a new batch of CareSens strips. (I also check against lab on the spot BG test with my HBA1c.) Sigh. I am a fan of German precision.