Carb before bed??

Bobbles 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
My BG is meant to be 5 before breakfast but it's always high, it was 11.5 this morning!
I read I should have a snack before bed and this will bring the morning one down but what? I tried an apple and that didn't work.
Thanks ☺️
I should say at night I take diazepam, lithium and olanzapine

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The 11.5 smacks of a large liver dump, although it depends what you are before you go to bed. This explains it in simple terms.

https://blog.virtahealth.com/dawn-phenomenon/

In my opinion it is not wise to eat anything at all after evening meal, especially before bed. I finish eating about 7-30pm and that is it apart from water until the next day.

Bobbles 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm waiting for a scan on my liver as the levels spiked when I last had my blood test so could it be that?
Last night all I had was my tea at around 7 and nothing after apart from tea and water,
And thank you for replying ☺️

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm waiting for a scan on my liver as the levels spiked when I last had my blood test so could it be that?
Last night all I had was my tea at around 7 and nothing after apart from tea and water,
And thank you for replying ☺️

Which levels in your liver were higher? Are they checking for a fatty liver?

Bobbles 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Which levels in your liver were higher? Are they checking for a fatty liver?
Yes fatty, I was on some meds that could have done the spike so he wants to check it out, so yes he wants to check if it's stretched and fatty

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes fatty, I was on some meds that could have done the spike so he wants to check it out, so yes he wants to check if it's stretched and fatty

Fatty livers are a major cause of high levels when fasting, so this may be the reason. Eating carbs will make matters worse, and that includes fruit and anything containing fructose. If you test before eating and 2 hours after first bite, and keep any rise from before to after as low as you can, and definitely under 2mmol/l, this will help. If it is above 2mmol/l there are too many carbs in that meal which need either reducing in portion size or eliminating. Keeping a detailed food diary helps with this.

Bobbles 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks I'm using the carbs and Cal's app to record my meals.
The total per day is under 60g
I'm overweight too so at least eating better for my diabetes will help that too
Thanks so much for all your help