Freestyle Libre Sensor prescription

Seeps

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

My local Diabetes Centre and GP have agreed to a 6 month trial of the Freestlye Libre CGM. This us great news, but then trying to get it from pharmacy is a joke... it is highly in demand and often not available for a week or two which really disrupts the 6 month trial in terms of continuity and showing any improvements especially around hypo awareness given the stop start nature of it...

Any ideas on what to do?

Sundeep

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @Seeps

Well done (I’m envious)!

If it’s like any other medical prescription, you should be able to take the prescription to a different pharmacy. If there’s one near you, Asda pharmacies seem to be able to get Libres within 2 days (based on my and other forum members’ experience).

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was prescribed mine before Christmas, but wasn’t able to actually get my paws on one until January 11th! My pharmacy only has two patients who get it regularly from them, and they told me to order a new pair (I get them in twos) the day I install the second sensor to ensure continuity. So basically I give them two weeks’ notice. Hope you can do something similar x

Seeps

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Seeps

Well done (I’m envious)!

If it’s like any other medical prescription, you should be able to take the prescription to a different pharmacy. If there’s one near you, Asda pharmacies seem to be able to get Libres within 2 days (based on my and other forum members’ experience).
Thanks Ledzeptt, that's good to know. Will see how it goes with them.

Seeps

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was prescribed mine before Christmas, but wasn’t able to actually get my paws on one until January 11th! My pharmacy only has two patients who get it regularly from them, and they told me to order a new pair (I get them in twos) the day I install the second sensor to ensure continuity. So basically I give them two weeks’ notice. Hope you can do something similar x
Ah, great advice, that should mean that I'm not stopping and starting. Thanks Mel dCP, really useful.

Reactions: LooperCat

tremari

Libre can now be prescribed across London according to NHS ENGLAND from 1st MAY

My local Diabetes Centre and GP have agreed to a 6 month trial of the Freestlye Libre CGM. This us great news, but then trying to get it from pharmacy is a joke... it is highly in demand and often not available for a week or two which really disrupts the 6 month trial in terms of continuity and showing any improvements especially around hypo awareness given the stop start nature of it...

Any ideas on what to do?

Sundeep[/QUOTE]
Thanks Ledzeptt, that's good to know. Will see how it goes with them.