ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ickihun I don't know if that comment was directed towards me or not but when I was diagnosed and informed by the doctor he said I'm putting you on this metaformin so you don't need a tester so I wasn't given one. When I had my episode l went back and told them about it and requested one because I want to know what my own body is doing as I've got no idea. One was then supplied by a nurse but I was told I'd have to pay for the strips needles myself . They gave me the Gluco nexus. Seems ok but the extras are very expensive. Don't know if I can afford to use it , might have to change for a different one. They prices quoted to me worked out around £30 for boxes of 50.
Oh I'm disappointed they didn't help with test strips. What did they say about hypo feelings even thou working with machinery? Are you able to find out if your company can help pay for test strips since using machinery?

Reactions: Allanmax

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a nurse appointment Tuesday morning and my doctors appointment Friday I'll have a list of questions for them then

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My company don't pay for sickness or medical appointments, not a nice company so not even going to ask them to help me. I wasn't even allowed unpaid leave to visit my wife on the day of her cancer operation so no help there

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My company don't pay for sickness or medical appointments, not a nice company so not even going to ask them to help me. I wasn't even allowed unpaid leave to visit my wife on the day of her cancer operation so no help there
I'm not sure of many who help but was worth asking you. Many are obliged to help with eye tests. A good company is hard to find these days.
Any more hypos?

Reactions: Hwad and Allanmax

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No my company aren't very helpful. No more hypos fortunately. I've just ordered the recommended tester from the earlier link so im getting more sorted as time goes by. Just really need to sort out my food now. Some things I've thought where good I've been told aren't, it's all confusing. I'm booking on two extra courses with the diabetes clinic to help me with carbs and diet.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

stephenlopez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Allanmax I don't know how you've been taking care of yourself. Are you taking your metformin on time? If not, just get it into schedule. Also, about the glucometer, I can understand that your company doesn't pay for medical services but you should use some of your savings to get one, because nothing is more important than your health. Also, you should make some lifestyle changes that can help you keep up with the blood glucose levels. I think this information will help you with the whole process: https://zovon.com/health-conditions/diabetes/

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Steven, I've ordered the recommended tester and lots of strips and needles from the link on here. I'm also picking up an exercise bike this week, together with my already owned road bicycle and I also use a kayak so I'm hoping between the three I'll get fitter. I do try as best as possible to stick to regular times for taking my meds. At the moment it's 2x 500mg a day. Sometimes that's difficult to eat with food as I work shifts and cannot eat at certain times on alternate shifts but I am trying to get everything in some sort regime. In the last 6 weeks because of my regime changes I've dropped from 96kg down to just under 91 so I'm doing something right. At least its going the right way. I've also not eaten meat for over 30 years so the diet changes aren't too big a leap. I've cut out all the rubbish I did used to eat. I loved chocolate so probably went a little overboard on that, criss have gone and anything else laden with sugar

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Allanmax you may find you can tolerate a couple of squares of a really high cocoa content chocolate - I often have a bit of the Lidl 81% chocolate at bedtime if my sugar is a little on the low side, it brings it up a tiny bit during the night making me less likely to hypo (cunning type 1 strategy there!), but at only 2.8g carbs a square you may find you can tolerate it - the fat content (5.4g a square) will slow down any rise in blood glucose. Also, being so dark, one or two squares is satisfying for even the most hardened chocoholic!