How to handle being different

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our almost 11 yr old son was diagnosed with type 1 about 3 months ago. While he’s doing well medically, the current challenge is that he’s extremely embarrassed and doesn’t want anyone to know. We’re working to find a peer group for him which I think would help but we ‘re open to any suggestions ..
Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @IC_81 ,

I was diagnosed as an 8 year old.. Most kids are great at adapting to situations such as diabetes.
The "rub" comes all to often with the small talk bringing the "subject" up over their heads.?
Don't misunderstand. The people/friends/professionals the child keeps company/at school with needs informing of the condition (Health & safety.)
However it changes the established emotional dynamics? All of a sudden, one can start to feel like "that kid."

I feel every child wants to "fit in" (regardless of health condition.) It's just striking the balance to soften the impact for the ensuing teen years...

Good luck! :)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@IC_81 diabetes uk and JDRF are good charities to have a look at to see if they do anything in your area where your son could meet others with diabetes. JDRF is a type 1 charity and they do walks and runs and discovery days on the progress towards a cure. Diabetes UK covers all types of diabetes, so I've found some of the adult sessions are a bit too type 2 focused for me, but any sessions for children are going to focus on type 1.

Have you had a chat to your son about why he doesn't want anyone to know? Why is he embarrassed about having diabetes? There is a lot in the media about diabetes costing the NHS a lot and being a disease for fat people. Does he understand that he has type 1 diabetes? An autoimmune disease where he immune system killed off his insulin producing beta cells, it's nothing to do with his lifestyle or weight. Does he know about some famous people with type 1 - the prime minister, James Norton (an actor who has been widely tipped as the next bond), Esther Haim, bassist in Haim?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @IC_81 . I can imagine it has been a big shock for your son. Teenage years can be awkward enough as it is let alone to have to live with diabetes as well.
As @catapillar points out there are many famous T1' s in the world, let alone all of us guys here who are willing to help.
Google search.
Jay Cutler. Legendary American footballer.
Henry Slade. International Rugby Union player.
Chris Pennell. Another International Rugby player.
Rod Kafer. Australian International Rugby star diagnosed at 15.
Steve Redgrave. Won a few medals whilst sitting in a boat:).

Diabetes can make us great. We are fighters and winners.