Folic acid

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP mentioned today that I should be taking a high dose of folic acid whilst waiting for ivf. This could be months away yet as we are waiting for an egg donor. Just curious as to what others have taken and how far in advance? Also why do diabetics need a higher dose?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As far as I know folic acid is recommended for all those planning a pregnancy not just those who have Diabetes. Folic acid lowers the risk of spinal cord anomalies and (again, if memory serves) it is recommended that it be taken for a few weeks prior to falling pregnant.
Good Luck.

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I know folic acid is recommended for all those planning a pregnancy not just those who have Diabetes. Folic acid lowers the risk of spinal cord anomalies and (again, if memory serves) it is recommended that it be taken for a few weeks prior to falling pregnant.
Good Luck.
Yes it's just that I'm sure she said I should take a higher dose because I'm diabetic. I should have asked her then but I have white coat syndrome lol! Will speak to the pharmacy. Thank you xxx

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yes it's just that I'm sure she said I should take a higher dose because I'm diabetic. I should have asked her then but I have white coat syndrome lol! Will speak to the pharmacy. Thank you xxx

A quick google and it seems that the higher dosage is recommended for women with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes because of the slightly higher risk of anomalies.

Reactions: sjm1308

jade88

With both my pregnancies I was advised to take the high dose 3 months before trying to conceive - with my first this meant I was taking it for nearly a year there’s no harm in taking it for a long period of time and you can get it on prescription. I was also advised to take vitamin D as most of us in UK lack this because of lack of sunlight! xx

Ivy45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took the high dose tablets prescribed by my GP (5mg?) as soon as I started to have unprotected sex, so 5 months before conceiving.