Stopped smoking now constant snacking

bobduff

I have been diabetic for around 3 years now and there was a time it was pretty well controlled but I have stopped smoking in the last 2 weeks and have put on quite a bit of weight in that time. Whenever there are biscuits or chocolate in the house I eat them to excess like eating a packet instead of just 1 or two. I very rarely feel full. I understand the importance of controlling your sugar levels but I can't help myself. I'm recently unemployed and living in a place where I don't know many people so I don't get out much. Someone said to me that I'm eating because of boredom and I suppose they're right but how do you get rid of the boredom when you have nothing to do? I'm not overweight as yet but I can see myself getting there before too long.

jaykay

You have the time to get out and meet people in your area, so do it. Volunteer for something, join a class and learn something, maybe look at re-training. There is no real reason to be bored if you can get out of the house. As my mamma used to say, the quickest way to stop feeling sorry for yourself is to do something for someone else!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bobduff,

I appreciate it must be difficult but eating chocolate biscuits and getting huge spikes after isn't going to do your health any good. Is it possible for you to join a gym, go swimming or join a voluntary group as jaykay suggests, some authorities have free membership to the unemployed or have concessions in place, ring your leisure dept of your local council for clarification.

My brother-in-law had a heart attack last week after just turning 50 in December, he has been a smoker since he was 14 and is recovering today from having stents inserted, the consultant has told him if he doesn't stop smoking he will have another heart attack and may not be so lucky next time, so don't go back to the ciggies but leave the biscuits alone! :)

Nigel

anniep

Hi

Giving up smoking is hellish, and as smoking is an appetite suppressant it can make you hungrier. I found the only way not to eat the biscuits etc is not to have them anywhere near the house.

Have snacks you can eat in the house instead, maybe a bit of cheese? a few almonds? (but if you're like me, not loads coz I'd eat them all)

I Try walking as a distraction, but not around shops with things to tempt me to buy food, anything to keep busy.