Humulin I new user with side effects

KathyD

Hi,
I have type 2 and have been on Insulin for two weeks now, increasing by 2 units every three days until my fasting results are normal. Everything is going well except for the aches and pains I'm having. I am normally bright and breezy with hardly any colds, etc; but for the last 10 days have been aching all over, joints are sore, legs feel like they belong to someone else and the pain in my knees is driving me crazy. I am starting to walk with a limp! I generally feel awful.

Has anyone had the same as me? I've looked up the side effects on line and on the paperwork included with the insulin but nothing. Might be advisable to mention that my blood sugar is still over 11 (it was in the high 20's before insulin - I felt great then :) )

Thanks for any advice

Tracey69

Hi KathyD
Welcome to the forum. I don't think it's the insulin, I was womdering if you are on any other medication. Have you ever had your thyroid or vitamin B12 checked as us fiabetics can be known for Vit b deficiency.
I would report to your GP as there may be something else.
Sorry i don't seem to of been of help, but this needs to be checked out.
Please feel free to keep in touch as i would like to know how you get on.
Take care
Tracey

KathyD

Thanks Tracy,
I think I am falling apart! Dr changed my insulin to Novomix, the pains subsided but the headaches were awful. At beginning of February I am now on Byeta. Still feel like ....! Headaches have disappeared but sickness and shakes about an hour after I have taken it are not good. I am beginning to feel that I my body does not like injections of any sort.

To be fair to my Dr, he is very understanding and I think he is trying to help me through this, but I used to be so energetic before the insulin and now I have no energy at all. I've gone from someone up before 8 every morning and on the go all day, to someone who just does not want to get out of bed and I have to sit several times a day to get some energy back.

I really do not want to do this for the next 20 years - I wanted to enjoy my retirement!

Thanks for your input, much appreciated

Kathy

Tracey69

Hi Kathy
Sorry to hear your still not feeling great. I was wondering whether the diagnosis of the diabetes and having to do insulin has caught up with you. Diabetes and depression can come hand in hand, ( I'm not saying you have depression) but may be just a little low. As you probably now if your sugars are high that will make you feel as though you have no energy.
Keep your chin up.
Take care.
Tracey

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High BS can cause tiredness, but have you been tested for anything else like anaemia, hypothyroid, vitamin B12 deficiency or vitamin D deficiency?

It may be worth mentioning these to your doctor. I have an indoor office job and felt terrible for nearly 3 years before asking to be tested for vitamin D deficiency, bingo, that was what was wrong with me, taking supplements turned my life around.

carlray

Hi,
I have type 2 and have been on Insulin for two weeks now, increasing by 2 units every three days until my fasting results are normal. Everything is going well except for the aches and pains I'm having. I am normally bright and breezy with hardly any colds, etc; but for the last 10 days have been aching all over, joints are sore, legs feel like they belong to someone else and the pain in my knees is driving me crazy. I am starting to walk with a limp! I generally feel awful.

Has anyone had the same as me? I've looked up the side effects on line and on the paperwork included with the insulin but nothing. Might be advisable to mention that my blood sugar is still over 11 (it was in the high 20's before insulin - I felt great then :) )

Thanks for any advice
Hi I have had exactly the same as yourself I was on trulicity 1 pen weekly Humulin I building dose up to 56 in a morning and 20 units evening I also had4x500 metformin I started having pains in my knees and after 6month had to buy crutches to get about. Four week ago I read your letter and decided to stop using Humulin, the next day I could walk down the staires I had not done this for several week,It took about a week for all the stiffness to go but I am now able to walk normaly. Doctor and diabetic nurse say they don't know of any other cases of this so I have tried again and after 2 days started to get leg pains back so I have stopped taking it again, now diabetic nurse cannot see me till end of Feb.

carophie04

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Thanks for any advice
Hi,

Thanks for any advice

I am Type 2 and also a Kathy and have been on insulin 12 units once a day for 3 weeks now and having exactly the same problems as you. Aches and pains and generally feeling lethargic and getting aching in joints that I've not had problems with before - wanting to sit or lie down between doing jobs which I have never been like before. My early morning readings are mainly 8.2 - 8.7 mmol with the occasional blip where it has gone up to 11. I also take 2 x 500 Metformin a day. It is very disappointing when one is hoping to feel a lot better when put on another medication to be feeling like this and makes me wonder whether it was worth it. I am a firm believer that we can not all be 120 over 80 BP or 97.4 temperature etc., whereas the medical profession tries to get us to be so. Leaves you wondering what to do, carry on regardless or tell GP this may be bringing down my BS readings but I am no longer "ME"! I think I might try what some have suggested here and get myself some Vitamin D or B and see what that does, but then one has to be careful about taking even vitamins along with other medications.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there I have been Humulin I since Sept 17. Have not experienced any of the issues you describe. Hoping things improve for you soon

spanielsmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people!!
I'm on Humalin 1 after changing from Abasaglar due to awful headaches and strange "echoey" head. I did a search and it appears to be the same thing, under a different name. I also have blurred vision but put that down to Ozempic, which I stopped taking. I feel rubbish, I feel dizzy, and my numbers are still higher than they should be. I certainly felt better before taking the medication too Kathy.

Last edited: