Background Retinopathy

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @laurakirkup , I think we've all had that letter fright at some point!

But it's important to keep it in perspective. Here's some numbers for you. I'm in Scotland, which has about 30,000 T1s. There's an annual survey done. The most recent from 2016, see link below, says on page 93 of the pdf that the number of T1s in Scotland who are blind because of T1 is......17. Out of 30,000. A fraction of a percent.

I suspect that they are either old school T1s who haven't had the benefits of modern technology, or peeps who have burned out and think it is ok to run around in the 15s and 20s.

I remember reading an article in Balance soon after I was dx'd 30 yrs ago by a 25 yr old who was getting told by her docs that she would be blind within a year. Because she thought that drinking unbolused high sugar cocktails and running at 25 for days on end was ok. She turned it around.

I learned a lot from that article. It scared the **** out of me, and I've spent the last 3 decades making sure, as best I can, that I'm in range, but I still get the 'letter" every now and then

There are no guarantees with this condition. The only thing we can do is try our best to stay in range.

There's a surprising number of non-T1s who also have background retinopathy. I don't view it as an indicator of an inevitable decline. The imaging technogy is so sophisticated that they are picking up on minor things which aren't actually a problem, but need to be noted.

Like I say, no guarantees in this business, but I've put aside any fears of going blind, because the numbers say no, and the monitoring systems these days are going to catch things before it gets too bad. There's reason for optimism here.

Chin up, hen!

http://www.diabetesinscotland.org.uk/Publications.aspx

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's just quite a shock! I am going to the clinic next week and will let you know what they say with regards to it being reversed!
After getting the letter I went for an eye test today. Lovely chap showed me a picture they took and my right eye had a small bleed he said it will probably heal over month or so. I feel a lot better now and will continue to try and get lower blood sugars. Interestingly he asked if my blood pressure was ok - I had been to the nurse last week and told it was good. He said otherwise he would have recommended getting that checked too - as can cause this type of bleed. Might still get it checked again #paranoid

jodysd6

I got my results last week after having had them say background retinopathy on and off for a few years, so was pretty upset and shocked that mine said I had signs of maculopathy and need to be seen again in 3 month. Luckily I know a bit from having a medical science degree but there was no leaflet or explanation and even with decent knowledge I was still quite upset by it. I have a normal eye test due next week anyway so hoping they can reassure me a little, but it’s still scary. I’m glad you managed to see someone in person who could actually talk to you about the results.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my results last week after having had them say background retinopathy on and off for a few years, so was pretty upset and shocked that mine said I had signs of maculopathy and need to be seen again in 3 month. Luckily I know a bit from having a medical science degree but there was no leaflet or explanation and even with decent knowledge I was still quite upset by it. I have a normal eye test due next week anyway so hoping they can reassure me a little, but it’s still scary. I’m glad you managed to see someone in person who could actually talk to you about the results.
I can see why you are shocked and scared! I hope you are ok. I went for the eye test after reading some stuff on here. I'm so glad I did - the man was lovely they took pictures of my eyes (with no drops lol) and showed me the bleed in question which the diabetes eye screening must have seen. I totally understand the nhs cannot consult with everyone on a one to one basis, but the letter scared me to death. The optician was great and no charge! So glad I went!