Alcohol units

popps

Hello all,
I was just wondering if the recomended limit of 21 units for men should be lower for people diagnosed with T2. I used to live on diet of guinness and currys, but after diagnosis I cut right back on alcohol consumption. However, since my new regime of lower cabs and more exercise, and total lack of response from the NHS - I've been referred to DESMOND, but not heard anything yet - I seem to be slipping back into old habits. No guinness but plenty of red wine and Holsten Pils (less sugar?). I'm assuming that alcohol causes the liver to produce more glucose and this causes the H1abc test (which I'm told I need to take at the end of this year) to have a higher reading. What do you think?

The Governor

Not sure about unit intake etc, but I can tell you my epxeriencethe last week.

I had a mate over for the weekend and we did some drinking, I kept on eye on my readings and for the most part they were pretty okay (between 5.5 - 8) Considering I was drinking and eating that wasn't too bad, but above my normal clevels.

However, it's taken me about a week to get back to my noral levels that i had before his visit, so it has told me that any benders I go on come with a price. Luckily I'm not a big drinker and probably only have a blow out every couple fo months on average, so I can accept the wobble.

ally5555

the rec amount of alcohol depends where u live - in england its 28 units for men and us poor Welsh can only have 21 and for women 21 and 14 units.It is not a prescription a few drink free days are good - says she with a nice glass of red in hand. Might be the only time i might want to be english - only joking guys

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
ally5555 said:
the rec amount of alcohol depends where u live - in england its 28 units for men and us poor Welsh can only have 21 and for women 21 and 14 units.It is not a prescription a few drink free days are good - says she with a nice glass of red in hand. Might be the only time i might want to be english - only joking guys

So why the difference Ally between England and Wales? Surely the damage is not regional!

Nellie

I'm assuming that alcohol causes the liver to produce more glucose and this causes the H1abc test
Its the opposite, whilst the liver is busy processing the alcohol, (1 unit per hour) it doesn't release glucose, hence the advice to type 1s to eat whilst drinking since if they have a disabling hypo during the following night the liver won't come to the rescue and even a glucagon injection won't work.

ally5555

nellie that is very true and pts often report low bs after drinking alot.

TBH I have even had a few pts who have thought drinking alot would be a good way of keeping bs low - not a good idea!

I tell pts to try and keep to a couple of drinks and try to have a few dronk free days.

stevied

It was not so long ago that one of the so called " experts " who set the " limits guidelines " admitted that there was no scientific basis for the number of units drunk,and that they just plucked a set of figures out of thin air. :roll: Too often it would seem that our lives are run by these experts.

ally5555

I believe it was based on some data - but havent looked at it . I find that that in practice drinking is having an impact on weightand often those drinking everyday have raised tg levels - not always but i am seeing a trend!

When they raised the rec amount to 4 units in england it was a week after they started the xmas drink drive message! Mixed messages !!

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I was wondering if drinking while on holiday - a couple of pints a night - would be harmful after not drinking for last 6 months? I only ever drink when on holiday as it's too expensive and harmful to health. :roll:

stevied

ally5555 said:
I believe it was based on some data - but havent looked at it . I find that that in practice drinking is having an impact on weightand often those drinking everyday have raised tg levels - not always but i am seeing a trend!

When they raised the rec amount to 4 units in england it was a week after they started the xmas drink drive message! Mixed messages !!

Here is the actual article I read.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 698024.ece

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
gillyh said:
I was wondering if drinking while on holiday - a couple of pints a night - would be harmful after not drinking for last 6 months? I only ever drink when on holiday as it's too expensive and harmful to health. :roll:
Hi Gillyh,
Its not a question of how often you drink, but what is in your drink! As you mention 'pints' I guess you mean beer. Most beers have a high sugar content so need to be avoided. But with Pilsner type lagers all the sugar is fermented out so they are ok to drink (but the extra fermentation also means they are usually a higher alcohol level, so take care!). Alcohol is generally not a problem, in fact it can actually lower blood sugar, although usually not enough to cause a hypo. Wines are ok. With spirits just make sure that any mixers are the diet variety as normal mixers are usually high in sugar.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Thanls Dennis. Usually I drink strong lager. I'll go for the pilsner types in future. when I do drink I keep an eye on my BS anyway. that's why I don't drink very often...it's just not worth it.

DiabeticGeek

gillyh said:
that's why I don't drink very often...it's just not worth it.
This is probably true for beer, but low carb drinks in moderation are generally harmless and red wine, with all of its antioxidants, is positively beneficial. Alcohol lowers BG, and I used to know a T1 who used this as a part of her management strategy.