"Normal" insulin dosages (Humalog)?

Zanshin

Hi

I`ve been diabetic since 1995, and have never discussed what insulin dosages are considered "normal". I take 12 units (max) of Humalog for each of 3 meals a day, I weigh 75kgs and exercise 6 days a week. I take 18 units of Lantus at night. My HBA1C is 7. The diabetic consultants I see at the hospital are unable to offer useful commentary, and always point to my acceptable results.

I appreciate everyone is different, carb intake and body composition differ etc etc, but just wondered what is average. I read online that 40 units of Lantus a day was the average, but fear it may have been a US average...

Thanks

Rich

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As you say everyone is different but as a rough guide we've always been told approx. 0.5 - 1 unit of insulin per day per kg of body weight. About 30-50% of your total daily dose will be your basal insulin. But everyone is different, if your HbA1c is good then don't worry about it. If you feel you're taking too much insulin then lowering carbs and increasing exercise may help to use less insulin.

Zanshin

Based on your reply, I could take almost twice the insulin I do (based on 0.5 -1 unit per Kg body weight), but so long as my HBA1c was ok, it wouldn`t matter. I struggle with this concept, hence my question. What kind of dosages do other people take?
Re. eating less carbs/exercising more, as I mentioned I exercise 6 days a week - including 100 miles cycling on average, boxing, karate, circuit training - so my level of carb intake is necessary to fuel this. I`ve no intention of training more, nor of eating fewer carbs, just wanted some guidance on whether I`m taking more insulin or less insulin than anyone else. Anyone?

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) works on the principle of carbohydrate ratios, which very between people and the same person may have different ratios are different times of day, on training, non training days etc. Startin point is 1 unit short acting insulin per 10g carbohydrate, then tweeks to achieve the individual ratios.

The other issue is basal dose - depenind on which you are taking, this dose can be changed every 12 hours (eg if you take Humalin I twice a day) to every 3 days (eg if you take Lantus or Levemir once every 24 hours), although some people change their Lantus or Levemir doses more often.

TheSparkyPony

I wouldn't say there was a 'normal' dose for Humalog - you'd shudder knowing what I'm on...! Want to know? Ahh, why not!

19yo, F, 65kg, exercise 5x or more a week (horse riding/walking dog/gym). HBA1C is 7%.

Levermir: 44 in am, 44 in pm (88 units in total per day)

Humalog:
Breakfast: 25u
Lunch: 45u
Dinner: 54u

Total of 124u of Humalog a day!

We tried dropping my insulin as I barely eat, and if I do it tends to be one meal a day. Levels just got higher and higher. Seems by body can only function with a hefty amount of insulin in me.

An extreme example, but one none-the-less for you Zanshin :D xxx

Zanshin

Thanks for the replies - I accept everyone is different, I was just curious as to how much insulin other people take. Sounds like the general response is "who cares, so long as the diabetes is controlled". That works for me!