Diabetic Medicalert Tattoo's

nathansdiary

Dislikes
Non diabetics who think they know better and people who keep asking me "are you allowed to eat that?"
I am thinking of having a tattoo done to alert anyone to my diabetes as I am one of those people that does not like wearing bracelets or necklaces. I carry all my info on a card in my wallet but wanted something more noticeable. I am a big tattoo fan anyway and I am trying to decide exactly how to have it done. I wondered if anyone else here has one like this, if so can you post a pic? I already have one down the inside of my right arm and am going to get my second in Jan/feb next year (my local artist is very very busy!!)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
How about the cadduceus, the medical symbol. You want it to alert emegency services don't you, in case of an accident.

nathansdiary

Dislikes
Non diabetics who think they know better and people who keep asking me "are you allowed to eat that?"
I do like the caduceus logo and also the similar one with just the one snake infront of the red 6 point star like logo.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'd be sccared of having a tatoo. i find it simpler to wear a bracelet.

Siobhan

If you go to google and type in medicalert tattoo and click on pictures there is a photo of a guy's wrist with a tattoo saying he is diabetic, very effective!

bluboy

Re: Diabetic medicalert tattoo.

I have 2 tattoo's at the moment, and would like to add at least i more but have found that a lot of tattoo artists won't tattoo you if you are diabetic unless you have a letter from your doctor saying it is alright. This may just be in the north west but would be worth looking into before deciding on a design.

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is very interesting - I had a much longed for tat last August (before diagnosis)along with my mum (66) who had also wanted one for years. It is in fact my user picture. My Hubby was not impressed - didn't speak to me for a week and we still do not talk about it (it is on my thigh and was done just for me and I have to say 1 year on I still love it!)

Anyway when I was diagnosed I joked about getting another one alerting people to my situation, now I know this is something people have done I am going to have to investigate.....at the risk of another weeks silence! Mind you it took me 25 years of wanting the last one before I finally did it so perhaps when I am in my 60's....

Let us know how you get on.

Louise

lionrampant

This is actually an awesome idea. Might not get you into any biker gangs but it'd be a tad more stylish than a great bloody medicalert bracelet. And since so many people uses dog-tags as fashion accessories today, they're even less of an option.

chocoholic

After an op. a couple of years ago, when I was in recovery and staff had neglected to realise I was diabetic(even though I'd informed several people including the registar and surgeon), I was horrified and jokingly said I'd get a tattoo positioned under my nightie saying "I am diabetic", so that they might realise next time I happened to be in theatre.

hails

I have a gorgeous Diabetic tattoo in my wrist all in swirly writing. It says Diabetic Type 1. It has been commented on constantly cause it is so pretty and I did an email interview for ABC news in America regarding Medic alert tattoos.

Not only is a great idea but its a great conversation starter (a good way to help those understand a bit more about our condition, instead of pressume!)

I havnt a clue how to post a pic on here but there are loads of pics of it on the diabetic facebook groups.

H x

hails

Worked it out... here you go guys! I designed it on the puter! x

Attachments

• diabetic.jpg
    diabetic.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 709

bonerp

As a first aider, I've gotta say I wouldn't be lifting your clothing all over to find a tattoo saying you're diabetic! The first place I'd look is your wallet / purse for some form of card ID and maybe a quick look at your neckless for a medic alert.

Personally I dont like advertising the fact I have diabetes - especially during warm weather when I would wear a T shirt. To me it makes you look a bit....well 'special'...like those 'special' classes at school!

Sorry, just my humble opinion!
:|
Paul