Low fasting insulin/normal fasting glucose

Pirkar

Hello everyone

I'm not a diabetic, I was wondering if anyone here with knowledge on LADA and T1D could advise what is the cause of lower than normal fasting insulin? My A1C is 5.3% (34), fasting glucose 4.7, and fasting insulin 2.5 (reference scale is 3-24). 10 years ago my fasting insulin was even lower - only 2. If this was LADA or T2D I would expect high blood glucose levels. There are no other symptoms related to pancreas (infection or the like). I do have reactive hypoglycemia after high carb/sugar food. I'm now on paleo, LCHF, sugar and grain free, ketogenic diets.

Thank you!

Pirkar

Hello everyone

I'm not a diabetic, I was wondering if anyone here with knowledge on LADA and T1D could advise what is the cause of lower than normal fasting insulin? My A1C is 5.3% (34), fasting glucose 4.7, and fasting insulin 2.5 (reference scale is 3-24). 10 years ago my fasting insulin was even lower - only 2. If this was LADA or T2D I would expect high blood glucose levels. There are no other symptoms related to pancreas (infection or the like). I do have reactive hypoglycemia after high carb/sugar food. I'm now on paleo, LCHF, sugar and grain free, ketogenic diets.

Thank you!

FYI: I'm not planning to make LADA antibodies blood tests because these are very expensive.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
#1. I am not a doctor, so this is just a guess.

There have been others that question the appropriateness of current “normal” parameters for labs when applied to those following a low carb/Keto lifestyle. All norms were determined using people eating the standard high carb diet.

One of the results of eating LCHF is increased insulin sensitivity. It is possible that you just do not need as much baseline insulin to maintain a health and normal blood glucose as someone eating carbs. This could be your normal with this way of eating (WOE).

Because you know you have Reactive Hypoglycemia, which is considered a defect in your glucose metabolism, you might want to read items in that forum. Many, if not most, will agree that a LCHF/Keto WOE is the best way to manage this.

If, in the future, you notice your A1c or fasting numbers creeping up, you might want to reconsider getting antibodies tested. My Endo considers my Reactive Hypoglycemia as part of my diagnosis of LADA. The good part is that both do well with a LCHF/Keto WOE.

I forgot, WELCOME!

Pirkar

Thank you Kailee56! 10 years ago my fasting blood insulin was 2 and I was on whole grain, low GI, plant based diet, with lean meats, but lots of carbs (veggies, plants, fruit). Now, during LCHF my fasting insulin is higher 2.5, so I wonder if LCHF actually has had any impact on insulin. Also, during LCHF my fasting blood glycose is lower than previously (from 5.1 down to 4.7). It think LCHF lowers blood glycose levels. LADA may not develop to full fledged LADA, if controlled by diet, and b-cells are able to produce enough insulin. What is your postprandial insulin level? 30 min, 60 min, 120 min?

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
With OGTT with Kraft assay glucose/insulin. The lab would only do 3 hrs and no 1/2 hrs. Had to fight for what I got.

Fasting. 99(5.3)/3.6
1 hr. 217(11.7)//93
2 hr. 112(6)/16
3 hr. 38(2)/3

Glucose rose over 200 (10.8), indicating diabetes,
dropped by >100 (5.4) in 1hr, indicating reactive hypoglycemia ,
and went down to 38 (2), another diagnostic for reactive hypoglycemia
Insulin levels all considered within normal limits.

The Reactive Hypoglycemia got me referred to an Endo. where my T1.5/LADA was eventually diagnosed via antibodies

BTW, the whole point of LCHF/Keto is to lower the insulin levels by lowering the glucose ingested, so, yes, your blood glucose would be lower. For many of us, that is the whole point. I don’t want my beta cells to be stresses. There is also the thought/theory that the more beta cells are stressed, the faster the autoimmune disfunctional response progresses.

Last edited: