Control Strips for Type 2 diabetics

I am type 2 diabetic and have been for about 8 years. I started on diet and am now on 3 metformin per day. I have had a number of spikes just lately and I am awaiting my HbA1c results from my annual check up ( which I had to request after 14 months).I have now been informed by my GP practice that they will no longer give me control strips on prescription because I do not take insulin. I use the fact that I can take a measure of my blood sugar to control my diet especially when I travel abroad which I do 3 months of the year. My question is, has anyone else had this happen and am I being upset unnecessarily with the remaval of what I consider a very useful tool in my control of the condition. It seems I am faced with having to purchase these strips myself or hope for the best that my condition does not change from one year to the next. Has anyone experienced changes in a 12 month period when unable to check their blood sugar level . I feel that this decision is leading to diabetes being a second class condition not warranting 1st class treatment, perhaps this is an over reaction on my part.

louiseb

look in the greetings and introductions section, then go the thread entitled tips for strips it was written by the former monitors here it is very useful.

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
Yes - I've been told I can have one or two a year. I'e been researching to see which are the cheapest to buy - so far it's care sens at £12.75 for 50 - which is still a lot of money

Cheers
Ailz

Thanks for your replys , I have just had a further conversation with a Gp at my practice who has agreed to a 3 month Hba1c test regime but no control strips in between. I am a little happier with this as the HbA1c is more accurate and will see how it goes.