Scientists warn of fracture risk among older women with type 2 diabetes

DCUK NewsBot

The risk of older women with type 2 diabetes experiencing fractures has been highlighted in a new US study. Scientists from Harvard Medical School say the findings present an opportunity to better identify risk factors for fractures, as well as for clinicians to make early interventions. The risk of fractures in older women with type 2 diabetes doubles in the short-term compared to those without diabetes, according to the research. The risk between groups tended to even out over a decade, however. Bone mineral density tends to be normal or slightly higher in people with type 2 diabetes, but the risk of fracturing a bone increases in age, particularly in those who have the condition. The research team were able to gather a large amount of people with type 2 diabetes by using the Framingham Original and Offspring Cohorts, a study of more than 5,000 spouses and their offspring. The database used just over 2,000 women and 1,130 men, aged on average about 67, and who had a baseline osteoporosis study examination around 1990. They then looked at how many of those people had type 2 diabetes and of that number, how many fractures had been reported nine years later. Speaking to Endocrine Today, lead author Elizabeth Samelson, PhD and associate scientist at the Marcus Institute for Aging Research at Hebrew SeniorLife and assistant professor at Harvard Medical School, said: "Typically, you need to follow people forward for a long period of time to accrue enough fractures to do your study. But because of the incredible size and characterisation of the Framingham cohorts, we were able to look at fracture risks over one year and two years as well as over 10 years. "What we found was that having diabetes increased the short-term risk of fracture over one to two years, whereas over the 10 years - when you look out over the long term - the increased risk in diabetics was not significant." The researchers concluded that "clinical intervention may be particularly effective for fracture reduction in older adults with type 2 diabetes". The findings were unveiled at the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists 28th Annual Congress, held this week in Los Angeles.

Continue reading...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
'Intervention'? Does this equate to pharmaceuticals?

Reactions: jjraak

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m so sick of seeing the diabetic label being used alone when attached to risk of anything. What they actually mean is UNCONTROLLED diabetes.

Reactions: Freema

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Ah well diabetes is progressive and irreversible don't-cha-know, the authorities (typically researchers in high positions) tell us so.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah well diabetes is progressive and irreversible don't-cha-know, the authorities (typically researchers in high positions) tell us so.

Phew! That means I won’t have any limbs to break, they would have all been amputated.

D

Deleted member 308541

'Intervention'? Does this equate to pharmaceuticals?
You can take your choice of a once a month Fosamax or Actonel, or a six monthly shot in the arm with Prolia.

They are all on the PBS here in Australia, my GP has just put me on Prolia in the last couple of months for a crush vertebrae injury I did years ago. I got sick of taking the the others because of the thirty minute wait before having any thing to drink / eat first up in the morning.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You can take your choice of a once a month Fosamax or Actonel, or a six monthly shot in the arm with Prolia.

They are all on the PBS here in Australia, my GP has just put me on Prolia in the last couple of months for a crush vertebrae injury I did years ago. I got sick of taking the the others because of the thirty minute wait before having any thing to drink / eat first up in the morning.

I was referring to pharmaceuticals to treat Type 2 Diabetes.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really don't understand what they are trying to say here.

Bone density is often higher in T2s because many T2s are obese and therefore do weight bearing exercise every day.

I broke 2 ribs and my sternum 2 years after being diagnosed. This was because of a freak accident whilst watching a football match. I really don't think anyone who wasn't diabetic would have had a different outcome to the same event. So I was at greater risk of being kicked on the back by a drunk idiot because i had only been recently diagnosed? Huh? Without knowing the circumstances of the breaks this study means nothing. Or maybe it shows that T2s aren't fat and lazy at all?

I broke my wrist 6 years after diagnosis because i stupidly walked down a steep hill in the snow. According to the study I was at the same risk as anyone else then? Yet my bones were tested and had the density of an average woman half my age.

I can't see anything meaningful in this study.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s possibly the increased risk of the fracture from the same trauma.