Type 1, Girlfriend Pregnant. The Risks?

John506

I am type 1 male, 21 years old, diagnosed on 6th June 09

Up until a few months ago, my blood sugars were always high at night due to before bed munchies. I would wake up and my readings would be anything between 14-24ish.

During the day I kept good control, which I do during the night now also as I have quit the munchies.

Anyway my girlfriend has just become pregnant, and I'm worrying about the effects my health could have on the baby's development or any problems I need to think about in the future also.

Thanks in advance!

face990

Dislikes
Not being able to eat pizza
Hi John.
As a recent type 1 dad myself, don't worry about anything but making sure you are fit an healthy for that little baby.
Your Diabetes should have no effect on your little babies development, and unless you have a long line of diabetics in the family, genetic diabetes is very very rare if it actually exists at all.
The only advice I can give you is make sure you take some food when the missus goes into labour as it can be a very long labour almost (20 Hours for my wife), and you don't want to be having a hypo then.

Good luck
Andy

jopar

No there's no risk of your diabetes causing the baby any development problems, however any children you have will have a slightly high risk of becoming a T1 diabetic

here's a link to more information about the genetics side and the stistical changes www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/geneti ... betes.html

So far I've had 3 children now young adults non are diabetic, my husband also a T1 has a son from his first marriage he's not diabetic..

face990

Dislikes
Not being able to eat pizza
Jopar I hate to disagree with you there but as a participant in Bristol universities recent study into genetic diabetes, I Have to disagree with the above statement. there is no proof that risk of diabetes is increased if one or both parents are diabetic.
Genetic diabetes only applies to someone such as me who has a long line of diabetics in my family, going back several generations. even then it did not rear its ugly head untill I hit 27.
This is something I would not worry about, and my daughter is fit and healthy so far.

jopar

face9090

Have you got a link to the study!

As what you are saying is that if no history of diabetes in the family then it can't be passed down! Which seem to be out of kilter with the rest of the genetic world both for diabetes and other genetic conditions where you just need the mutatated gen to pass down from one parent (some conditions need both parents to have a matched pair of mutated genes for it to pass down)

In generations to come if any member of my family become diabetic, I will be referred to i.e your nan/great grandma, aunty/great aunty Jo was T1.. I will be seen as introducing the duff mutant gene that causes T1 diabetes..

My sister had one of her gene's mutate causing server eye-sight issues due to it prevents the structure of the eye developing probably.. Genetic testing has established that the mutation of this gene took place with my sister (the rest of us don't carry it) it's also been established it passes down, as both her children are carries of the gene but not effected by it.. My great nephew yet has to be tested to see if he's a carrier or not, but it hasn't effected him..

But to say that there isn't a risk that John won't pass down his T1 gene to his baby/children is wrong, for the simple fact there is a risk factor something like 1-100 chance of an individual becoming a diabetic!

I would agree that it's not something you need to get your knickers in a twist about...