Depression

OscarsMummy

Hi, Ive suffered with Diabetes now for the last 16 years (since I was 7) My control has always been pretty good, during my teens I had bouts where I didnt do my sugar levels, avoided giving my insulin etc. My control also became very messy in about 2007. In 2008 I found I was pregnant with my son Oscar and this was the kick I needed. I managed to keep my HBA1C at 6 the whole way through my pregnancy (it had previously been 11 before getting pregnant)

However at the moment I cannot escape from the rut Im in. My control is non exsistant. Some days I sit down at night and its like I suddenly remember Im diabetic. Im sloppy with giving my insulin on time - and some days I just forget all together. Its AWFUL. And I have my son to think about. I really want to pull myself out of this but for some unknown reason I just cant.

Just wanted some advice really.

Sorry its long winded xxx

MelanieL

Hi, sounds like you're going through a bad patch! The good thing is that deep down, you know that you can't let things slide and that you need to tighten up your control and keep yourself well. It does get very boring, and for myself, I find I keep tighter control when I don't think about diabetes too much, and just relax into a routine - just like brushing my teeth in the morning and before bed, I inject before I eat and before bed. When I can keep the disease in a small part of my brain and confine it to a routine, it doesn't take up so much of my life!

When you were pregnant, you managed brilliantly - probably because the fact of being pregnant was more significant than having diabetes. If you could keep your HBA1C at 6 during pregnancy, you can do it now. You titled your post 'Depression', and maybe you need to talk to your GP about the way you are feeling, especially if you feel that things are really out of control. Looking after a toddler is demanding and tiring, and you may feel that there are too many things to juggle with, so you put yourself and the diabetes at the bottom of the list, but the reality is that controlling your diabetes is the key to managing your life and being stable enough to cope with the demands of caring for Oscar!

I hope things improve for you soon - instead of telling yourself that you have 'failed' on the days that you don't get things right, try and tell yourself that you'll do better tomorrow. Good luck.

Snodger

MelanieL said:
I hope things improve for you soon - instead of telling yourself that you have 'failed' on the days that you don't get things right, try and tell yourself that you'll do better tomorrow. Good luck.
this is good advice, and I'd go even further - think about what you've already achieved. You're already achieving so much! I'm so impressed that you managed to get your hba1c down so dramatically in pregnancy. I'm always impressed by any of us who manage to handle diabetes AND kids - both are so exhausting. It's totally reasonable that you feel tired out and depressed and it's totally reasonable to ask for help.
Another thing to remember is that in the big diabetes trials they found that those who got their hba1c down to 7.2 (and you did even better than that) are still at less risk of complications for years afterwards, even if they couldn't manage to keep to 7.2 all the time. So you will continue to reap the benefits of your low hb1ac during pregnancy, even if things have slipped a little since Oscar was born. I'm not saying give up - you need to keep yourself well as MelanieL says - I'm just saying don't beat yourself up if you can't get the perfect bloods.
Good luck

OscarsMummy

Thaanx Guys. It really does help to speak to people who understand and to know that we all have bouts like this. I know I can do it. Just gotta keep thinkin that sadly theres plenty of people who are much worse off! xx

Lisa_87

Hey,
I totally agree with what everyone has said above, I feel guilty most days- I feel guilty if I even consider eating that slice of cake, or after I've eaten that slice of cake then get my sugar high and then feel too 'overwhelmed' and ''exhausted' to bother with injecting, it really is one of the most horrible vicious cycles, and it's so hard trying to communicate just how relentless and hard a task it can be sometimes to someone who doesnt suffer.
It's an annoying thing to have to say but for now, just battle on and hopefully one day they will find us type 1's a cure!! x