what is DKA and keytones?

roxy44

Hi i see this coming up a few times, can you please tell me what keytones and keytone stix are how they are used and when to use them plz?
also DKA what is this plz?

many thanx x

pianoman

Ketones (or Ketone Bodies) are by-products of the body using Fat as an energy source. When the levels are raised (usual in the fasting state between meals or overnight) we may be said to be a state of "ketosis". This is safe and normal. But like anything in the body, too much can be toxic.

Ketones that are not used as energy may be excreted or wasted from the body in the breath ("fruity" or ketone breath) and in the urine. Ketostix can be used to test the urine for the presence of ketones.

Diabetic KetoAcidosis (DKA) occurs when there is such an high level of ketones that the blood chemistry is dangerously acidic. It most commonly occurs in a Type 1 with insufficient insulin; such that they are unable to use Glucose -- so the usual signs are both increasingly high BGs and high levels of ketones. This is a dangerous condition that left untreated can result in loss of consciousness and death.

A Type 1 may go into DKA due to injected insulin that has lost it's potency, or a failed pump infusion site -- for example. Treatment includes trying to lower the BG using a reliable source of injected insulin, staying well hydrated to help flush the ketones, frequent testing of BG and ketones, and seeking urgent medical advice if the BG and level of ketones do not start to come back down.

DKA does occasionally occur in Type 2 but is usually precipitated by something else like an acute infection.

DKA (dangerous) and Ketosis (normal) are frequently confused even by some well-meaning but misinformed HCPs, and this confusion is often seen on web-sites.

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
:D Thankyou pianoman, that was most helpful, to me as well. Great info. :D

pianoman

You are most welcome Graham -- M'Lord :D

Although I did just realise I may not have fully answered the question "how are Ketostix used and when to use them?"

Ketostix are used by urinating onto the end of the test strip, counting 15 seconds and then comparing the colour with a chart -- darker purple means more ketones are being excreted.

They would be used when the BG levels are rising above the person's comfort level. The person may also feel nauseated, weak, light-headed etc... I understand that some BG meters will even advise when a Ketone test is recommended.

They can also be used when first starting (or maintaining) a low-carb diet, to increase your confidence that you are burning more fat for energy.

I'm trying very hard not be verbose but I wanted to add that the reason I think so many (even HCPs) misunderstand this concept of ketosis is: partly out of concern for DKA, but also the way so many eat these days with an almost constant intake of refined carbohydrate (breakfast of cereal or toast and jam, biscuits with the mid-morning cuppa, sandwich and crisps for lunch, bagel or muffin at that mid-afternoon meeting, pasta or chips for supper, late night snack etc...) such that we barely get a chance to switch over to using more fats through the day. Over recent decades this may have begun to be seen as the new "normal". We do burn fats constantly -- it is not just used as a last resort, but the relative use changes depending on dietary access to glucose and insulin levels through the day.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Now I read this as ketones being like ash after a fire, they're what's left when we burn fat, and the body can cope with disposing of a "normal" amount it's when you burn too much fat (for energy) that too much "ash" (ketones) are left behind, which the body can't dispose of, so it floats in the blood causing problems? In simple terms am I right?

pianoman

Gappy said:
Now I read this as ketones being like ash after a fire, they're what's left when we burn fat, and the body can cope with disposing of a "normal" amount it's when you burn too much fat (for energy) that too much "ash" (ketones) are left behind, which the body can't dispose of, so it floats in the blood causing problems? In simple terms am I right?
Not quite... ketones can also be used as an energy source (and for other processes) in the body...
The brain gets its energy from ketone bodies when glucose is less available (e.g., during fasting, strenuous exercise, low carbohydrate, ketogenic diet and in neonates). In the event of low blood glucose, most other tissues have additional energy sources besides ketone bodies (such as fatty acids), but the brain does not. After the diet has been changed to lower blood glucose for 3 days, the brain gets 25% of its energy from ketone bodies. After about 40 days, this goes up to 70% (during the initial stages the brain does not burn ketones, since they are an important substrate for lipid synthesis in the brain).
My source here is Wikipedia but it includes references if you want to read further... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bodies

The heart muscle can also use Ketones for energy but prefers fatty acids.

For DKA to occur you usually need BOTH high levels of Ketones AND high Blood Glucose -- which is unlikely for a Type 2 on an high-fat diet so long as they have some insulin production, or a Type 1 who is injecting sufficient insulin to manage their BG level.

As it mentions: new born (breast-fed) babies are in ketosis for most of their first few months. There are also interesting studies which demonstrate a dramatic reduction in epileptic seizure activity, by using a diet that favours the production of ketones.

The human body is incredibly adapted and adaptable to changing conditions. If we had really evolved to use Glucose as our primary fuel, I doubt we would still be around today.