Finger pricking

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Can anyone suggest a cream for my fi gers as all this testing makes there sore..

D

Deleted Account

You can use a standard hand cream but I wonder why your fingers are so sore.

There are few techniques to reduce the pain
- make sure you do not prick too deep. Most lancer devices have a depth setting. Ensure this is not set too deep.
- vary the finger you use. I tend to use the fingers on my left hand for odd numbered dates and right hand for even numbered dates. Then I split the day up by meals and sleep and use a different finger for each meal and the last one for before bed and if I wake in the night. If I have a problem with a finger and can not use it, my thumb is available as backup
- extract blood from the side of your finger rather than the fleshy bit. This does not require you to prick so deep and is usually less sensitive.
- do not squeeze your finger to get extract blood out. If you struggle to extract blood, shake your fingers downwards before pricking (it makes a mess if you do it after pricking ... I know from experience with a white shirt!). If necessary, warm your hands beforehand too. Wrapping your hands around a mug of hot tea of coffee works well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gaffer type 1

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can use a standard hand cream but I wonder why your fingers are so sore.

There are few techniques to reduce the pain
- make sure you do not prick too deep. Most lancer devices have a depth setting. Ensure this is not set too deep.
- vary the finger you use. I tend to use the fingers on my left hand for odd numbered dates and right hand for even numbered dates. Then I split the day up by meals and sleep and use a different finger for each meal and the last one for before bed and if I wake in the night. If I have a problem with a finger and can not use it, my thumb is available as backup
- extract blood from the side of your finger rather than the fleshy bit. This does not require you to prick so deep and is usually less sensitive.
- do not squeeze your finger to get extract blood out. If you struggle to extract blood, shake your fingers downwards before pricking (it makes a mess if you do it after pricking ... I know from experience with a white shirt!). If necessary, warm your hands beforehand too. Wrapping your hands around a mug of hot tea of coffee works well.
Bright idea