Night shifts and diabetes

greenmonkey

Hi all,

Is there anyone out there with Type 1 that works late night shifts? I mean say, 9pm-6am, that kind of late.....then rotates to days and so on. If so, how do you cope with BS levels? Do you manage to keep them stable? Just about to start a role which involves a variety of shift patterns, but am slightly concerned re. late ones in relation to insulin.

Be interested to hear from anyone.

LadyJ

Hi Greenmonkey

No, I don't work shifts.

However, if you are on a basal/bolus regime, this really shouldn't cause too much of a problem. Logically, if you keep taking your basal insulin at the same time each day (so, if it's usually at 10pm, take it at that time whether it's bed time or the start of a shift) and then take your normal amount of bolus insulin with each meal.

Keep testing and figure out what works. Obviosuly, you might need to figure out how things like the dawn phenomonen are affected by the shift work and sleep patterns.

Finally, I take it you have gone into this job knowing about the shifts? If it was a change from your usual shifts in an existing job and you were finding it difficult, you could ask to change back on account of your diabetes.

However, I woulnd't imagine it will pose a problem.

KimSuzanne

Hi Greenmonkey

I've worked shifts for the last 5/6 years earlys, lates and nights. If your on four injections a day that helps a lot because you can take one of your faster acting when you eat in the night.
Personally I ended up taking 5 injections a day and eat 2 samller meals e.g If I was working a night shift I used to do it like this
Breakfast (Novarapid)
Lunch (Novarapid)
Sleep then when I woke up Toast (Half the dose of Novarapid)
Lantus at 8pm
During the night I'd have toast or a sandwich then the rest of the Novarapid
It will depend a lot on ho your body reacts I found the best way was to keep a diary of everyting for a few weeks cause then you can see how its working - memory can be a problem when your body is getting used to working nights.
Hope this helps - if I've missed anything feel free to PM me