Solution to the Dawn Phenomenon and Metformin

SarahMMS88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.
I've always been sloppy with my management (been diagnosed for 20 years) but, since getting pregnant in July (I suffered a miscarriage in August, probably due to my poor management), I've been trying my best to remain on target. My main problem has been the dawn phenomenon. Even when I didn't eat any carbs at night, even when I went to bed with a slight hypo, my glucose always went up at about 2am-3am. I didn't know what else to do after numerous attempts at adjusting my dosage. My doctor told me a few days ago that patients with a similar profile to mine have been having a lot of improvement after taking metformin at night. I started with a 500mg dosage, now I'm on 1g. I am beyond ecstatic. My nighttime glucose line on FreeStyle Libre is almost perfectly straight and my levels throughout the day are a lot better as well. I've been able to reach 80% of the day on target, so that's very exciting. I just wanted to let you guys know, if you also struggle with dawn phenomenon, that metformin might be the way to go.