Blood Glucose Meter Memory

Graeme Ross

I believe that this is the way memory is handled.
Most Blood Glucose Meters have the capacity to store about 800 readings.
When this is exceeded, the first reading is discarded,the reading location ID is advanced by one, with the current reading added at the end of the queue.For a meter with capacity of 800 readings, reading number one is discarded, reading two becomes reading one so reading 800 position becomes vacant and available for the latest reading.

My question relates to the speed of the meter when memory is full. My (brain)
memory says that my current meter is slower than when I first started using it. My current usage is 7-8 readings per day, so the meter memory is full in about 3 months!

Hope to receive some clues, or is the meter tired and worn out!
Regards .
Graeme

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that this is the way memory is handled.
Most Blood Glucose Meters have the capacity to store about 800 readings.
When this is exceeded, the first reading is discarded,the reading location ID is advanced by one, with the current reading added at the end of the queue.For a meter with capacity of 800 readings, reading number one is discarded, reading two becomes reading one so reading 800 position becomes vacant and available for the latest reading.

My question relates to the speed of the meter when memory is full. My (brain)
memory says that my current meter is slower than when I first started using it. My current usage is 7-8 readings per day, so the meter memory is full in about 3 months!

Hope to receive some clues, or is the meter tired and worn out!
Regards .
Graeme

In what way is it slower, Graeme? I can't say I have noticed that myself.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
You dont have much choice but to accept it as bg readings can not be deleted in most meters so no matter how big the memory is it will become full at some point

However I use several meters and not notices any slow down and do upto 12 tests a day

On the other hand some meters are slower than others.. it a bit like mobile phones.. cheap ones can be sl6while more expensive ones faster

Last edited:
Reactions: Jollymon
D

Deleted member 308541

MY Abbott Freedom Lite seems as as quick as when I first got it over a year ago.

The new Lifesmart blue tooth meter I have just bought as a replacement for the Abbott, takes about five seconds to process the reading, I did notice when rtm that it has a delete button in the meter settings.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Some meters do take upto 5seconds to analyse the blood the specs in the instructions will tell you the expected time

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Life smart glucose specs

Strip I – Glucose Strip

Enzyme Type : GDH-FAD
Sample Size : 1.0 μL
Reaction Time : 5 seconds <<<<<<<<
Parameter : Glucose

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
You dont have much choice but to accept it as bg readings can not be deleted in most meters so no matter how big the memory is it will become full at some point

However I use several meters and not notices any slow down and do upto 12 tests a day

On the other hand some meters are slower than others.. it a bit like mobile phones.. cheap ones can be sl6while more expensive ones faster

Just a quick question.....why do youy use more than 1 meter?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I typically only use one at a time ie I have used the aviva expert for the last 2 months before that I used the contour next one for about 4 months.. I have 2 types of strip on my prescription and my gp will change at my request

In 10 your I've used about 30 different meters..

Why... because I can :)

Reactions: porl69
D

Deleted member 308541

I replace my meters after a couple of year, either from a free upgrade or paying cash dollar. I keep the old meter as a spare if there is a shortage of strips for the new one, or if family or friends want me to check their bgl out.

Getting back to the delete button in my new Lifesmart meter, I set this up yesterday too try it out and deleted the lot of the readings I had while testing the meter out.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
O DEAR
YOU COULD SAY YOU TIPEX THEM OUT
Sorry , just know how annoy thats is as i write my down just the breakfast one as it gives me a guide for the whole day
vic

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I typically only use one at a time ie I have used the aviva expert for the last 2 months before that I used the contour next one for about 4 months.. I have 2 types of strip on my prescription and my gp will change at my request

In 10 your I've used about 30 different meters..

Why... because I can :)

I only asked as you see a lot of posts on here comparing one meter reading against another. Just checking you wasn't doing the same :)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No I'm quite aware if the variances I've even put a video on YouTube explaining it for people that keep asking the question if 'why am I getting different readings'
I only asked as you see a lot of posts on here comparing one meter reading against another. Just checking you wasn't doing the same :)

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Quote "In 10 your I've used about 30 different meters.."

I've been diabetic and using a meter for over 20 years and I should think I've had about 6 or 7 meters! What do you do to them?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When a new meter comes out I decide if it will suite me better than the one I already use... if I think it will I get one try it for a while even buying my own strips if I find it better I change my prescribed strips..

My main interest is currently meters that allow the best collection of data while having a memory big enough for the dvla requirements as I'm a hgv driver

In my loft is a glucose meter graveyard

Quote "In 10 your I've used about 30 different meters.."

I've been diabetic and using a meter for over 20 years and I should think I've had about 6 or 7 meters! What do you do to them?

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
When a new meter comes out I decide if it will suite me better than the one I already use... if I think it will I get one try it for a while even buying my own strips if I find it better I change my prescribed strips..

My main interest is currently meters that allow the best collection of data while having a memory big enough for the dvla requirements as I'm a hgv driver

In my loft is a glucose meter graveyard
Have you looked at AgaMatrix WaveSense Jazz? Has a good memory. I've used for 3 years. Little to say against it actually.

Taken from Website: https://agamatrix.co.uk/products/jazz/
Key Features
  • No Coding Required
  • Average Test Time 5 Seconds
  • Large, Backlit Display: Large digits and backlight for easy viewing.
  • 1,865 Test Memory: Enough memory to store 5 tests a day for a year.
  • 0.5 µL Small Sample Size

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Have you looked at AgaMatrix WaveSense Jazz? Has a good memory. I've used for 3 years. Little to say against it actually.

Taken from Website: https://agamatrix.co.uk/products/jazz/
Key Features
  • No Coding Required
  • Average Test Time 5 Seconds
  • Large, Backlit Display: Large digits and backlight for easy viewing.
  • 1,865 Test Memory: Enough memory to store 5 tests a day for a year.
  • 0.5 µL Small Sample Size
Yes used one for about 9 months some years ago.. nothing wrong with it... but I know prefer to used one which is either bluetooth like the contour nex one... or one that has a bolus calculator

Not found one yet that has both those features

D

Deleted member 308541

Yes used one for about 9 months some years ago.. nothing wrong with it... but I know prefer to used one which is either bluetooth like the contour nex one... or one that has a bolus calculator

Not found one yet that has both those features
@searley My new Lifesmart meter is has both bluetooth and has a bolus calculator (not that I need it as a T2 in recovery) built into the android LifeSmart Sugar Cheq app.

XayeiHq.jpg

https://mylifesmart.net.au/products/blood-glucose-plus-ketone/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.taidoc.tdlink.lifesmart2