Can keto cause diabetes???

M

Member496333

Possibly, but at least if you catch diabetes you can use the same diet to cure it :shifty:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Possibly, but at least if you catch diabetes you can use the same diet to cure it :shifty:
Agree with Jim,
and perhaps more importantly, how long has keto been popular? How many people are actually doing keto in the general population? Now let's compare that to the time-frame and scale of the diabetes boom.

You'll be going some to convince me that keto is a leading, or even significant cause of T2

Which begs the question, why are they focusing on this very small, niche group? Let's have a quick look at them online:

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Last edited:
Reactions: Member496333

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
So there you go.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. A friend of mine pointed me to the podcast and asked my thoughts on it. Just put it on here to see what people would say

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. A friend of mine pointed me to the podcast and asked my thoughts on it. Just put it on here to see what people would say
Oh, that wasn't directed at you- not at all!
I just meant it's another one of these things that looks OK at first flush, but isn't really what it seems.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A quick google on the 'Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine' shows they are an animal rights organization masquerading as a healthcare concern:

The National Council Against Health Fraud has criticized PCRM as being "a propaganda machine" and the American Medical Association has called PCRM a "pseudo-physicians group" promoting possibly dangerous nutritional advice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physicians_Committee_for_Responsible_Medicine

So there you go.

Oddly, the first thing that struck me before I hit the play button on the podcast was the website's promotion of plant based diet.

So, what I was hearing as it rolled was "shock jock" broadcasting with dodgy questionable stats & scare tactics about lol, overweight meat eaters walking around unaware they are diabetic.
He may as well had been telling us that "aliens walk among us?"

Now don't get me wrong. I eat my fair share of the lower carb vegetarian dishes. & love em.
Primarily I'm a meat eater.

I've heard fairer less "don't swallow (insert diatary choice here.), it'll wrap around yer heart."

Reactions: porl69 and zand

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

It wasn't a non D informing you can cure T1 with raw veg & fruit smoothies, was it.?

We've both been around the "block" to know the score on that one! :)

Reactions: porl69 and Winnie53

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

It wasn't a non D informing you can cure T1 with raw veg & fruit smoothies, was it.?

We've both been around the "block" to know the score on that one! :)

I guess we should also be asking if keto is meant to cause T1 or T2?

Hotpepper20000

Often the typical images of meat eaters and health problems don’t separate the ones who eat carnivore, keto or low carb with meat. It usually just portrays some one who eats a bacon cheeseburger with a large helping of fries.

M

Member496333

We must be overdue another Keto Crotch? I’ll start the ball rolling with Keto Hair. People eating ketogenic diets have bad hairstyles.

Any takers?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
We must be overdue another Keto Crotch? I’ll start the ball rolling with Keto Hair. People eating ketogenic diets have bad hairstyles.

Any takers?

Isn't lack of hair (on the head) a possible sign of elevated testosterone levels?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

Any takers?
Now it's funny you should say that but.

"How Common is Hair Loss for People on Keto?
The first thing to know is, hair loss is relatively common in people on ketogenic diets. It doesn’t happen to everyone, but it happens to enough people that it’s a well-recognized phenomenon.
The formal name for the type of hair loss that occurs on keto is telogen effluvium ( 1), and this distinguishes it from other types of hair loss, such as male-pattern baldness, alopecia areata, or hair loss induced by chemotherapy or radiation.
Thinner hair seems like a small price to pay for the wide range of health improvements you experience on a ketogenic diet, but in our image-oriented modern society, losing a lot of hair can have a powerful negative impact on self-esteem and self-image.
As noted in a paper from the American Academy of Family Physicians, “Physicians should be careful not to underestimate the emotional impact of hair loss for some patients.”"

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/why-am-i-losing-hair-on-a-keto-diet

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess we should also be asking if keto is meant to cause T1 or T2?

I got no idea on the T1 front, but before I was Dx'd, I did tear through a lot of salad.. Not that I blame the humble lettuce for anything.

All I know is the diet promoted on the podcasts cites legumes & fruit which is meant to stabilise BG. How high that BG was stabilzed at, for a T2 was anybody's guess.. ;)
In their favour. Lol, they did demonise refined sugar stating it will spike & possibly leave you a hypoglycemic anxious wreck a couple of hours later..

Give it a listen. You know you want to.. :)

Reactions: Winnie53

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The first thing to know is, hair loss is relatively common in people on ketogenic diets. It doesn’t happen to everyone, but it happens to enough people that it’s a well-recognized phenomenon.
The formal name for the type of hair loss that occurs on keto is telogen effluvium ( 1), and this distinguishes it from other types of hair loss, such as male-pattern baldness, alopecia areata, or hair loss induced by chemotherapy or radiation.
Thinner hair seems like a small price to pay for the wide range of health improvements you experience on a ketogenic diet, but in our image-oriented modern society, losing a lot of hair can have a powerful negative impact on self-esteem and self-image.
As noted in a paper from the American Academy of Family Physicians, “Physicians should be careful not to underestimate the emotional impact of hair loss for some patients.”"

Although for most it seems a temporary condition and when the hair returns it seems to be better quality..
Some on carnivore even report grey hair turning back to its original colouring.. magic eh?

Hotpepper20000

My experience working with new mothers and others around me who have changed their WOE, is that sometimes when the body goes though extreme changes hair is lost.
I know for myself, my hair thinned when I went low carb and normalized my BG. However now my skin, hair and nails are strong two years later.