Type 1 Spaghetti Bolognese

anouser1

Hi,

I've noticed after eating spaghetti bolognese, my blood sugar is around 12 or so before bed. I've heard people split their dose for spaghetti & pizza, but what is a good starting point for experimenting with this? When should I do my injections and what percentage for these meals?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi,

I've noticed after eating spaghetti bolognese, my blood sugar is around 12 or so before bed. I've heard people split their dose for spaghetti & pizza, but what is a good starting point for experimenting with this? When should I do my injections and what percentage for these meals?

Pasta and me! I find that my blood glucose starts to rise at 4 to 5 hours after I've eaten and this is after the rapid acting insulin has worn off. Trouble is, I am usually in bed at this time so I wake up to glucose levels in double figures.

You would need to test frequently after eating to find out when your own levels start to rise.

As for how much to take, we can't really advise on percentages and units as it will be unique to you and your body. But a good starting point might be whatever you normally inject to correct yourself from say 12 (as per your question).

You may also find that reducing portion size is beneficial. For pasta I have reduced to no more than 80g - uncooked weight.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi,

Good morning, my DSN said a rule of thumb with higher carb meals are, inject around 3/4 of insulin before the meal, then the rest as soon as you start to eat.
This is just a guide, so best to keep an eye on your BG, also, take into account your reading before administrating insulin for the meal. What works well for one person, maybe not have the same affect on another, as we are all so different.
I might make Spag Bol tonight :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not a type 1 so I know nothing about insulin but My BGS don't like pasta so I cook thin slices of courgette in butter and pile the Bolognese sauce on top
Carol

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can get low carb versions of spaghetti in the "German" supermatkets, i believe. I use soy based pasta, but there is a black bean variant too. Acceptable substitute i find, but keeps sugar spikes down.

I am not an insulin user, but if the spag bol you refer to is full of meaty protein, then I have seen it suggested that allowing the protein content to be considered to be around half the carbs added on top of the actual carbs when you do a bolus can help.

The other thing I gather is a problem that may be at play here is if the meal has a high fat content then this delays the spikes that would 'normally' occur, and this is why some use a split bolus as you explained, The timing of straight after the meal may be too soon, so as suggested some experimentation to see when the spikes actually happen. You should see the glucose spike from carbs in the first 2 hours, followed up to 2 hours later by the protein bump, but high fat can make that even later, I see this effect as a T2D without being insulin user, so I know it can happen to anyone. You could possibly juggle the fat content but that will change the taste and satiety of the meal so is perhaps a too simplified solution.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
The old Spag Bog been the perverbial pain in the a@@ for me for a long time , I love it but like meany mentioned here it sends the old Bs towards the moon but it does it after about 2 hours for me , so after many meals of the pasta I have come to the conclusion I need to take my fast acting insulin just over an hour after I have eaten it , it took a bit of experimenting but I eventually found what works for me , and there’s the rub , having diabetes is about routine but also about experimenting , you have to find what works for you it’s your body and it’s individual , as long as you follow basic rules ie high bs take insulin low bs take sugar as far as most other things find out what works for you .
Ps not that I eat a lot of them but pizzas do the same to me as Spag Bog

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I attended the DAFNE course and was told if I'm injecting more than 12 units of insulin which is often for food such as pasta or pizza as they're high carb I should split the dose.
If just carby inject half in one injection site and the other half in another.
But if carby and fatty like pizza then have half when I eat and half an hour or two later.