Work

Drew64

I've been type 1 for 38 years, can anyone tell me if my employers are obliged to pay me if I stay off work for precautionary reasons, government guidelines say they are but they have offered 2 weeks then I have to go back to work.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yes it works!

What is your job?

The current guidelines for diabetics who are otherwise healthy is to follow 'stringent' social distancing guidelines. This is not the same as isolating at home. It just means staying 1 to 2 metres away from other people. Your employer should take reasonable steps to help you avoid close contact with people.

Your employer only has to pay you whatever is agreed in your contract of employment. If you become ill you are entitled to SSP (Statutary Sick Pay).

If you have a secondary health condition like liver disease, then the advice changes to isolation. I don't think your employer is obliged to help you financially but the government might.

I didn't see today's Boris briefing but the government has apparently given an assurance today -
The government is to pay 80% of wages for employees unable to work due to the coronavirus pandemic, up to £2,500 a month, the chancellor has announced.

I don't know the details and I suspect that more will become known in due course.

Reactions: Drew64

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Everything so far has been suggestions and advice.
Until the government pass legislation there is no obligation on anyone.
The phrase "weak kneed" has been used a lot.
You are basically on your own until there is a firm instruction, not a suggestion.

Reactions: Drew64

Drew64

I work in a food distribution warehouse so it's hard to avoid people, my employer has agreed to pay 2 weeks full pay if I produce a doctors letter saying I'm diabetic, I've phoned my surgery and they say the doctors aren't giving any letters out, I've worked for the company for 12 years and everyone knows I'm diabetic, they seem to be doing there best to avoid paying.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work in a food distribution warehouse so it's hard to avoid people, my employer has agreed to pay 2 weeks full pay if I produce a doctors letter saying I'm diabetic, I've phoned my surgery and they say the doctors aren't giving any letters out, I've worked for the company for 12 years and everyone knows I'm diabetic, they seem to be doing there best to avoid paying.

Hi Drew,

Welcome to the forum.

In the interim whilst sorting this out. Show your employer your NHS exemption certificate card & a coppy of your repeat prescription? This may just be a little leverage to make them stop & reconsider?

There has been some incentives for businesses & employers announced. As well as help for employees & self employed too?

Reactions: Fairygodmother

lallen81

Hi,

Sorry to jump on your band wagon, this is work related but not about pay. I work in a primary school and am wondering whether to risk continuing going in or should I stay away?

What would you do?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Sorry to jump on your band wagon, this is work related but not about pay. I work in a primary school and am wondering whether to risk continuing going in or should I stay away?

What would you do?

Hi, hello, & welcome to the forum.

Have they not shut down your school already?

Drew64

I don't know what a NHS exemption form is and a colleague at work with asthma and type 2 was told today that his repeat prescription wasn't enough, I'm going to try my diabetic clinic at my hospital tomorrow.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know what a NHS exemption form is and a colleague at work with asthma and type 2 was told today that his repeat prescription wasn't enough, I'm going to try my diabetic clinic at my hospital tomorrow.

Hi,

You should have a NHS exemption certificate as a T1. Renewed every 5 years?
Mine looks like a white credit card with the NHS logo & certificate number.
Fill out a form at your surgery, the service is free..
Without one you are libel to a fine, ticking the exemption box without an in date issued cert.

I only found out about this a few years ago.. (& Ive been T1 for nearly 43 years.)
Being T1 is not a "given" without a valid certificate.

All you need is one eagle eyed "jobsworth" pharmacist to spot it..?

Drew64

Hi,

Without one you are libel to a fine, ticking the exemption box without an in date issued cert.

I only found out about this a few years ago.. (& Ive been T1 for nearly 43 years.)

I

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I used to have one when I lived in England but in Scotland you don't get one - as prescriptions are free!

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it works!

What is your job?

The current guidelines for diabetics who are otherwise healthy is to follow 'stringent' social distancing guidelines. This is not the same as isolating at home. It just means staying 1 to 2 metres away from other people. Your employer should take reasonable steps to help you avoid close contact with people.

Your employer only has to pay you whatever is agreed in your contract of employment. If you become ill you are entitled to SSP (Statutary Sick Pay).

If you have a secondary health condition like liver disease, then the advice changes to isolation. I don't think your employer is obliged to help you financially but the government might.

I didn't see today's Boris briefing but the government has apparently given an assurance today -
The government is to pay 80% of wages for employees unable to work due to the coronavirus pandemic, up to £2,500 a month, the chancellor has announced.

I don't know the details and I suspect that more will become known in due course.
Hi - my understanding is, if you still are going to work, but don't feel as though you want to , then:
1. if you don't go in, this is your own decision and you are not entitled to pay by your company nor the government
2. you could go 'off sick' and claim the SSP (£94 pw ???)
3. you are only entitled to the 80% of your basic pay if the company has shut completely under the Government guidance.

I am currently in this situation and do not know what to do; I am Type 1, and with the virus yet to peak, am thinking I should not go in off my own choice. Obviously bills are an issue, so will look into the mortgage holiday payment.
Any thoughts anybody, or anyone have different information?

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope the diabetes team has provided a letter to confirm you are type 1?
Airlines advise having some proof that you have diabetes if you fly so you can take meds through security. My GP wanted to charge £25 and my DSN was disgusted and provided one for free. I've also sent in the summary letter from my latest hospital clinic review and prescription. I've tried to cover all bases! Hope you got it sorted?