Concerns about my job

brandooon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I have been a type 1 diabetic for 21 years. Currently I work as a digital surveyor, my job involves entering people's homes often in London, people I've never met, to get measurements of the building, as well as any land they also own, this can take several hours or a whole day. I also live 80-90 miles away from London, so 4-6 hours of my day are spent driving to and from sites

As of right now, I have told my boss that until I'm told otherwise, I will continue to work. I do have some concerns that this may go against the "stringent" social distancing that has been advised.

Any advice from people in similar situations? Should I even be working? Considering the nature of the job is going into people's personal homes, or in some cases tenanted buildings.

Until this week I had no cause for concern, but with everything that's coming out, I'm unsure if doing my job is following the advice from the government. My boss has temporarily barred me from entering service stations, and I have to bring packed lunches to work currently, he has also informed me to wear gloves in people's homes.

I'm still going to work currently, as I don't even know if I have cause to take time off, and have not been told officially that my job puts me at risk, but am more looking to people in similar situations, who may have some advice on this situation, as I really don't want to take time off, but if necessary for my health I may have no choice.

Would you advise that I call my gp? And see if they have any advice in these circumstances? I know that people on here can't technically give medical advice, but again, just looking for advice from people in similar situations.

Last edited:

JRT

I think this is a problem many of us are facing. The government strongly advise us to work from home. My son in law works in IT so can easily work from home. I work in a care home and home working and even basic social distancing not a realistic option. I have chosen to self isolate rather than wait to be officially told. All we can do is weigh up the risks in our work environment and protect ourselves.

brandooon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this is a problem many of us are facing. The government strongly advise us to work from home. My son in law works in IT so can easily work from home. I work in a care home and home working and even basic social distancing not a realistic option. I have chosen to self isolate rather than wait to be officially told. All we can do is weigh up the risks in our work environment and protect ourselves.

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to make that decision, working in care. I believe the risk for my job may have just increased with the schools being closed, unless I'm mistaken and children can't be carriers of this virus.

I'm finding it very difficult to let my boss down and not go into work, with it being a fairly small company that I work for, although he does understand that I am at higher risk, the best course of action may be to stop working, whether I want to or not

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A 2m distance from other people greatly help, hence can you require rooms to be empty before you enter them, along with finding a way to clean your hands before getting back into the car.

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently there is more advice to come out over the weekend. I’m a social worker and in a similar situation it’s a difficult call. Have been told to work at home where possible and agree it’s the feeling of letting others down that isn’t easy to sit with.

Hopefully more advice will come over the weekend

brandooon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A 2m distance from other people greatly help, hence can you require rooms to be empty before you enter them, along with finding a way to clean your hands before getting back into the car.

It may be possible to ask people to clear rooms, but I'm thinking more of the being in people's homes for potentially whole days, if it's on surfaces or anything the exposure time may be too long. I don't even know anymore I'm confused, lots of different information going round, is washing my hands going to be enough after potentially a full day of possibly being exposed?

I don't mean to come across as someone who just wants to be off work, that's not the case, I enjoy my job, I've got it easy compared to a lot of people, and I don't say that to brag.

Apparently there is more advice to come out over the weekend. I’m a social worker and in a similar situation it’s a difficult call. Have been told to work at home where possible and agree it’s the feeling of letting others down that isn’t easy to sit with.

Hopefully more advice will come over the weekend

I feel like you have a more important job than mine in this time, it genuinely makes my concerns feel much smaller, knowing there's people like yourself and those working in care, in more important positions at this time, having similar concerns and worries, it does ease my concern a bit. I can definitely imagine it must be difficult trying to figure out what you should be doing at this time in your position.

Hopefully some advice does come out soon for people like us, as if we have to make that decision ourselves it's not going to be easy to know we're making the right decision, especially with the feeling of letting people down.

I hope people appreciate what you and those working in care do, especially at this time when there's concerns of health.

Reactions: KesLouise

JRT

I must admit I have a feeling specific advice may be a long time coming! The general advice I have seen is that diabetics are one of top risk groups. I have read examples of people being sent home from work with understanding bosses. Then there are those that are told they have to go to work regardless. As diabetics we are told to limit social contact to extent of communicating with others through technology. Strongly advised to work from home. The healthcare union unison implies it's down to negotiation with the employer! Any problems let them know,sorry but by then it would be to late.
Again,from a care point of view. I work for a company that owns five care homes. Previously I worked for social services. There is a brutal difference in workplace conditions,no sick pay being one of them. My employers, unlike some appear quite caring and had no problems with me self isolating. Will I get even SSP? I dont know,especially if we are not in the 1.5 million people who government are supposed to be contacting on monday. In general I dont think we will be,that figure is far to small to cover the number of diabetics in country!
I am very lucky in that I have savings I can live off for about 6 months if no pay.
For those of you who not in a care environment please think carefully. This virus seems incredibly easy to get. The situation changes daily and almost inevitably will get worse. In a week we may be in lock down any way. Until then,unless you have to dont take the risk.

brandooon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must admit I have a feeling specific advice may be a long time coming! The general advice I have seen is that diabetics are one of top risk groups. I have read examples of people being sent home from work with understanding bosses. Then there are those that are told they have to go to work regardless. As diabetics we are told to limit social contact to extent of communicating with others through technology. Strongly advised to work from home. The healthcare union unison implies it's down to negotiation with the employer! Any problems let them know,sorry but by then it would be to late.
Again,from a care point of view. I work for a company that owns five care homes. Previously I worked for social services. There is a brutal difference in workplace conditions,no sick pay being one of them. My employers, unlike some appear quite caring and had no problems with me self isolating. Will I get even SSP? I dont know,especially if we are not in the 1.5 million people who government are supposed to be contacting on monday. In general I dont think we will be,that figure is far to small to cover the number of diabetics in country!
I am very lucky in that I have savings I can live off for about 6 months if no pay.
For those of you who not in a care environment please think carefully. This virus seems incredibly easy to get. The situation changes daily and almost inevitably will get worse. In a week we may be in lock down any way. Until then,unless you have to dont take the risk.

It could be a while, hopefully not though.

Unfortunately I'm not in a situation where I have anything saved up, so taking time off without pay isn't really an option for me. If we're choosing to self isolate, I take it we don't qualify for the newly announced government grant of 80% of wages?

Looks like I'm working until I am told not to in that case

JRT

I think the 80% wages are for companies that are at risk of closing. Although near the end of the financial year do you have any annual leave left? If you have a mortgage there are the three month mortgage breaks etc. You may be entitled to Universal Credit,although maybe not! Citizens Advice are very good,theres lots of info on their website and you can email for advice or they have a phone line. Everyone's financial situation is different but there may be things you can put on hold/reduce/get support with that could make taking time off work more viable.
If at work just follow guidelines ferociously! Washing hands/wearing gloves/being aware of contact with surfaces. Hardest of all dont touch your face! Good luck and hope goes well.

brandooon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
**** well that leaves me in an unfortunate situation, so much for not letting people who choose to do the right thing be penalised. Even if risk increases, if I won't be paid I'll have no choice.

Unfortunately, my holiday year runs from January to January, and I have used some of the allowance that I have built up before this virus even became a problem here.

If normal rules to universal credit apply, then if I choose to not work I wouldn't be eligible for anything, if not, maybe.

I live in a private rented flat, and even if my landlord gets a mortgage holiday, he's unlikely to take kindly to me being unable to pay rent from choosing to isolate.

edited by moderator in line with forum rules on offensive language.
I'm already fairly paranoid about things, so am quite good at keeping distance, although some families may not appreciate me asking them to stay out of rooms I need to go in, due to it being their home I'm in. The main worry right now is the children will be of school, and if they are carriers, I'm going to get it no matter what I do

Last edited by a moderator:

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are diabetics amongst those who should be expecting contact on Monday then??? Sorry for jumping in, just curious.

Thanks for your comments Brandoon I’m a children and families social worker so it’s really tough, but I think everyone is worried about what they are expected to regardless of their job. We got to all stick together and keep talking :)

brandooon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No worries, it would seem that they have changed the wording of who would be contacted. Those with serious health conditions has been replaced or removed.
From this link https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:

• people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • people with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

JRT

Hi Brandoon,
I'm pretty sure this week the government has said no one can be evicted due to the Coronavirus. In reality the situation is so extraordinary there will be millions in the same situation. Shelter could be a good source of information.
Yes,children are lovely little carriers and I can understand your worries. It may be that customers are very understanding if you explain the situation. I've read comments from teachers who are extremely concerned. Some were automatically sent home by head teachers as they were vulnerable, others found them not so supportive. A week ago it was stated that diabetics were a vulnerable group and would need to self isolate. In the past 2 days I've heard 2 separate doctors say the same,isolation not social distancing. Gov.Uk strongly advise social distancing to the point it is isolation in all but name. No social contact,even with family. Contact via technology. Work? Strongly advise to work from home. I'd love to know how many people can work from home! On Monday 1.5 million people who are very vulnerable will be contacted by NHS. These are people who have very complex medical conditions. There are to many diabetics in the UK to be included in this number,despite constant reports of how diabetes makes us more vulnerable than people with asthma and cancer. I may be being rather cynical but I cant help but wonder if our exclusion from this more protected group is financial with cost to economy if not working. There could also be an impact on core workers. There are millions and millions of diabetics in uk! I can see the Government being concerned about the cost as well as practical problems of supporting such a massive group in isolation.
This is the only reason I can think of for such ambivalence. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, maybe a letter will drop on my doormat on Monday and everything will be very specific! Until then my gut instinct is to isolate and protect myself as much as possible until the virus peaks in uk. When that happens I expect we will all be pretty much confined to home anyway!

JRT

Found this a few days ago,its a medical website called pulse ,the majority of which have to be Dr to access. Who knows!
Screenshot_20200321-215325_Chrome.jpg

brandooon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They have said that, unfortunately my landlord never sorted out the tenancy agreement, so I may have no proof that I am renting the flat if it comes to evictions, unless they make it impossible to escalate that to the courts.

I'd imagine if he is getting a mortgage holiday that the courts wouldn't enforce eviction anyway as he wouldn't be at a loss of earnings if I couldn't pay, but I can't be too sure.

I still have some hope that I'll receive a letter, this is starting to get really stressful. I may have to point out to my bosses that entering random people's homes is not exactly following the "stringent social distancing" that I am advised to do, particularly with children likely to be at every home I would go to. Kind of defeats the point of social distancing if I'm going into people's homes, even if I wasn't in a vulnerable group.

I think this is why people are getting so confused, there's a lot of different information going round, and without clarity we won't know what we're supposed to be doing. Understandably it's a very difficult time for those in government right now, and expecting clarity on something that they may consider clear advice may be expecting too much.

It's the children being off school that's getting me so worried, and maybe I have no reason to be, but everything I know of children suggests otherwise.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We had have our boiler repaired on Friday and the engineer said that the majority of customers who had booked services had cancelled them so I’m surprised that your clients are still happy for you to enter their homes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Would you advise that I call my gp? And see if they have any advice in these circumstances? I know that people on here can't technically give medical advice, but again, just looking for advice from people in similar situations

I emailed my surgery and asked about what should I do and the surgery emailed me back with ' Thank you for your email etc 'unfortunately a doctor cannot advise' great I thought, thanks a lot ! :wideyed:
Now, I don't have any work until further notice.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
If only there were more information! There are so many people who are now without work surely there will need to be better systems of financial support and housing protection instituted soon. I understand how the govt is running to stay in the same place, and workplaces are trying to puzzle out what should be done but the nationwide stress isn’t good for the immune system.
I no longer work, except for what I call my part time job, and I can find others who’ll keep an eye on that. I’m a student landlord, and I like my tenants. I’ll be giving rent holidays if needed. I’ve asked my lovely tenants to let me know if there’s anything I need to be informed about. All with reasonable landlords should get in touch with them if they think rent will be an issue, and get in touch even if they think they’re not reasonable.
But. Our younger daughter’s had so little information about the teaching of key workers’ children that she thinks she’ll be included in, and the ways risks will be tackled (she’s a Biologist, she knows the risks) that she’s on the edge.
Vulnerable teachers at the school she works in have not been included in the pool to teach key workers’ children.
There may be very little information about the how and the where but that one has been made clear.
I want to lock my daughter up and keep her safe. Safety and physical survival are paramount.

JRT

Good morning Brandoon.
My heart goes out to you. The only certain thing is that we are not included on the most protected list. Already I've read comments from people who have asthma wondering what to do.
My friend and her partner are probably a good example. He is a type 2 diabetic and had a stent fitted in his heart last year. Just before Christmas she was diagnosed with breast cancer and has just finished a long course of radiotherapy. He is a bus driver, she works in a cafe. A week ago they self isolated. It looks as though he may be in a similar position to us and unless she has had the specific radiotherapy mentioned so will she,and she goes to work on two buses. Of course over next week all that can change,the cafe will close if it hasn't already and transport is being reduced.
For all of us the advice is the same as the most protected group ,how far we take social isolation is up to us.
Work is the centerpin.
From reading the comments of others everyone's position is unique.
I've read comments from younger and extremely physically fit health care workers who feel they both want to and need to be on the frontline and feel their good general health will make a difference. Medical statistics and info say otherwise,you may be well but you are vulnerable because of how diabetes affects your immune system. Diabetics are more vulnerable than asthmatics and some cancer patients.
Some people are phoning their doctors. There to the advice I imagine will vary but probably be to follow government guidelines......
Articles from frontline NHS staff make for sobering reading.
A lot seems to depend on where you live as to how the NHS can cope.
If we follow the trajectory of Italy in a few weeks no one will be working unless directly related to stopping virus.
Brandoon I think the next few weeks will be crucial for you. As another contributor said people may not want people coming into house unless vital. I may be wrong but are you a house surveyor? If so not many people are going to be moving house any time soon!
With regards to rent. Shelter/CAB can give excellent advice about your rights. Keep any proof of payment.
I thoroughly empathise with your stress and uncertainty. I had a week to go through pros and cons. I felt guilty and as if I was letting people down. This gradually changed to the realisation that they had a large staff group who were not vulnerable who could do the job. If heaven forbid the virus gets into the care home it will be a miracle if any of them survive and those staff who are supporting them will have inadequate protective equipment. All my going in would have achieved would have been to put myself at risk.
I dont know what the future holds. None of us can imagine how the country will look in a year. Rules have been thrown in the air and millions and millions of us will be in same position.
Make a plan. Everyone's circumstances differ. Do you have family/friends you can live with if necessary? Spend a little while,not too long though,contemplating your worst case scenario. If you lost home and job ,if you survive this you can start again.
If you do go to work wear disposable gloves,be aware of surfaces,dont touch your face or eat or drink without thoroughly washing hands. If offered cup of tea etc decline. Wear gloves when fill with petrol. Sanitize car steering wheel,door etc. Keep outdoor clothing/shoes very separate. Change clothes as soon as get home. Wash hands. Clean phone/,keys!
Make sure you are washing hands properly. Working in care its second nature,but it's actually quite a specific process! Watches and rings also harbour bacteria.
Impossible as it may seem project your mental health,stress can impact negatively on sugar levels.
Take carexx

brandooon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We had have our boiler repaired on Friday and the engineer said that the majority of customers who had booked services had cancelled them so I’m surprised that your clients are still happy for you to enter their homes.

I am also surprised that people are letting us into their homes, unfortunately in my field of work, the work is often time sensitive, so it takes a lot for people to delay us coming out.

I emailed my surgery and asked about what should I do and the surgery emailed me back with ' Thank you for your email etc 'unfortunately a doctor cannot advise' great I thought, thanks a lot ! :wideyed:
Now, I don't have any work until further notice.

Oh, that sucks, as a doctor's recommendation is likely to be the only thing that would help me with getting time off in this situation it seems. My boss has said it's down to me to decide what to do, but that doesn't mean if i choose to take time off that I'll get paid anything, which is a major concern.

If only there were more information! There are so many people who are now without work surely there will need to be better systems of financial support and housing protection instituted soon. I understand how the govt is running to stay in the same place, and workplaces are trying to puzzle out what should be done but the nationwide stress isn’t good for the immune system.
I no longer work, except for what I call my part time job, and I can find others who’ll keep an eye on that. I’m a student landlord, and I like my tenants. I’ll be giving rent holidays if needed. I’ve asked my lovely tenants to let me know if there’s anything I need to be informed about. All with reasonable landlords should get in touch with them if they think rent will be an issue, and get in touch even if they think they’re not reasonable.
But. Our younger daughter’s had so little information about the teaching of key workers’ children that she thinks she’ll be included in, and the ways risks will be tackled (she’s a Biologist, she knows the risks) that she’s on the edge.
Vulnerable teachers at the school she works in have not been included in the pool to teach key workers’ children.
There may be very little information about the how and the where but that one has been made clear.
I want to lock my daughter up and keep her safe. Safety and physical survival are paramount.

i agree that we need more information, and i also understand the government are really struggling with this, you can tell by how tired they all look at the press conferences. It's a shame that we only have them to look to in this situation, but we need information fast, before this gets far worse than it already is.

Good morning Brandoon.
My heart goes out to you. The only certain thing is that we are not included on the most protected list. Already I've read comments from people who have asthma wondering what to do.
My friend and her partner are probably a good example. He is a type 2 diabetic and had a stent fitted in his heart last year. Just before Christmas she was diagnosed with breast cancer and has just finished a long course of radiotherapy. He is a bus driver, she works in a cafe. A week ago they self isolated. It looks as though he may be in a similar position to us and unless she has had the specific radiotherapy mentioned so will she,and she goes to work on two buses. Of course over next week all that can change,the cafe will close if it hasn't already and transport is being reduced.
For all of us the advice is the same as the most protected group ,how far we take social isolation is up to us.
Work is the centerpin.
From reading the comments of others everyone's position is unique.
I've read comments from younger and extremely physically fit health care workers who feel they both want to and need to be on the frontline and feel their good general health will make a difference. Medical statistics and info say otherwise,you may be well but you are vulnerable because of how diabetes affects your immune system. Diabetics are more vulnerable than asthmatics and some cancer patients.
Some people are phoning their doctors. There to the advice I imagine will vary but probably be to follow government guidelines......
Articles from frontline NHS staff make for sobering reading.
A lot seems to depend on where you live as to how the NHS can cope.
If we follow the trajectory of Italy in a few weeks no one will be working unless directly related to stopping virus.
Brandoon I think the next few weeks will be crucial for you. As another contributor said people may not want people coming into house unless vital. I may be wrong but are you a house surveyor? If so not many people are going to be moving house any time soon!
With regards to rent. Shelter/CAB can give excellent advice about your rights. Keep any proof of payment.
I thoroughly empathise with your stress and uncertainty. I had a week to go through pros and cons. I felt guilty and as if I was letting people down. This gradually changed to the realisation that they had a large staff group who were not vulnerable who could do the job. If heaven forbid the virus gets into the care home it will be a miracle if any of them survive and those staff who are supporting them will have inadequate protective equipment. All my going in would have achieved would have been to put myself at risk.
I dont know what the future holds. None of us can imagine how the country will look in a year. Rules have been thrown in the air and millions and millions of us will be in same position.
Make a plan. Everyone's circumstances differ. Do you have family/friends you can live with if necessary? Spend a little while,not too long though,contemplating your worst case scenario. If you lost home and job ,if you survive this you can start again.
If you do go to work wear disposable gloves,be aware of surfaces,dont touch your face or eat or drink without thoroughly washing hands. If offered cup of tea etc decline. Wear gloves when fill with petrol. Sanitize car steering wheel,door etc. Keep outdoor clothing/shoes very separate. Change clothes as soon as get home. Wash hands. Clean phone/,keys!
Make sure you are washing hands properly. Working in care its second nature,but it's actually quite a specific process! Watches and rings also harbour bacteria.
Impossible as it may seem project your mental health,stress can impact negatively on sugar levels.
Take carexx

I have also been reading other peoples comments and posts, and yeah some of us seem to be being told to work, and others not to, so it's very difficult to work out what to do, I'm finding it very difficult to put money above my health at this time, and that's not like me at all.

Well, I've been thinking about this all week, and I am almost certain that me going to work, and into people's homes will be to my detriment, no matter what precautions i take, unfortunately, it's the financial situation, and the idea of letting my boss down that are stopping me calling him and saying i can't work.

I usually decline any offers of drinks, but with the cold weather recently, particularly if I'm outside for a few hours before going inside their home, I've been accepting them, but this has changed that as well, as even if i'm cold it's not worth the risk.

my job title is digital surveyor, but essentially i do topographical and measured building surveys, using a laser scanner