Brain a lot slower since bad hypo

twilight

Hi all Sorry if I only ever post when I want something but I'm struggling with things a lot at the moment.
After suffering a string of bad night time hypos years ago I noticed that I had trouble concentrating. My brain simply wasn't functioning as efficiently as it was before. After a really serious night time hypo I found that when I woke up the next day I had trouble speaking. Now years later I still have trouble finding words to speak legibly. It's like a big black hole where my thoughts should be. Today in a cafe I couldn't ask for the salt because I couldn't get the words right. I went to the doctors when the hypo happened but could hardly speak so I couldn't explain what had happened. I went to the doctors again recently to ask if there was a test they could do so I could have some piece of mind about what the hypo actually did to affect my speech so bad but they didnt take me seriously and again I couldn't speak properly to stand up for myself. I hate worrying about looking stupid at work or with friends. My concentration is so bad I have no idea if I've posted this on here before, and I meet people in the street who no me but I have no idea who they are.
I'm not really sure what my question is but I'm just having a bad day after the incident in the cafe :(

Reactions: 2 people

Nicklenocky

Hi Twilight....I dont think I can help you with regards to your question but i just wanted to say hi and say keep your chin up. I too am struggling to get my diabetes under control and every day seems to be a bad day. I try to remain positive and I know that if we really put our minds to it we will eventually get there and all of the bad days will eventually become good days.

Big_Kev

Hi Twilight,
I would ask your doctor for a MRI scan, you are saying all the things that happened too me after a TIA mini-stroke.
It's 2 and half years since my TIA and I am still dealing with my problems from it, part of my brain had a burst blood vessel and whichever part of the brain is damaged then this will decide what is affected. Mine is, if you draw a line down the centre of my body, everything on my right feels that it is in a fridge, even in high summer, at night in bed my right side is like it is in a fridge, but it is warm to the touch my brain is telling me it is cold.
I couldn't remember names or day to day things, I am now about 75% better on this part but still struggle.

I have a friend that had a TIA and his symptoms, slurred speech and right facial drop only lasted 2 weeks.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks

Kev

carbo

I am not a doctor but I would hazard a guess that your problem is not caused by a hypo.The advice given is good, insist on an MRI scan.I had one and it does not take long

Big_Kev

carbo said:
I am not a doctor but I would hazard a guess that your problem is not caused by a hypo.The advice given is good, insist on an MRI scan.I had one and it does not take long

Thx Carbo

I would also add that the scan needs explanation on the sounds and procedure, they didn't tell me and I was absolutely petrified.

There is a lot of noise from the scan, so just assume you are listening to a fireworks display all those thunder flashes and bangers and noises. Because they are doing the head they cannot give you headphones only ear plugs so it is noisey :cry:

There is no problem after that, no pain, nothing touches you, just noise and it takes about 15-20 min

I would do it again, now that I know what the noises are, without any stress.

thanks

Kev