GD help!

Mareebah99

I just joined and I live in the US.
I have a similar situation- had GD on my first child and now have it on my 2nd. I’m about 22 wks pregnant and was diagnosed early like around 12 weeks. I’ve been dieting n exercising and control it very well. My daytime eating sugar levels are pretty good and almost always under 120. My fasting ones are almost always over 100. Like between 102 n 110. The dietitian n endocrinologist recommended about 2 I guess shots of insulin at dinner but they told me it was up to me.
I’m extremely conservative when it comes to taking meds and don’t feel I need to .
On my first pregnancy it was detected way later n my morning sugars were higher than now n I never took meds or insulin and the dr kept pushing to take a pill but finally stopped bc she said my levels were very low risk.
So I get these mixed signals that I’m very low risk and my sugar levels are good. But then they recommend the insulin.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I just joined and I live in the US.
I have a similar situation- had GD on my first child and now have it on my 2nd. I’m about 22 wks pregnant and was diagnosed early like around 12 weeks. I’ve been dieting n exercising and control it very well. My daytime eating sugar levels are pretty good and almost always under 120. My fasting ones are almost always over 100. Like between 102 n 110. The dietitian n endocrinologist recommended about 2 I guess shots of insulin at dinner but they told me it was up to me.
I’m extremely conservative when it comes to taking meds and don’t feel I need to .
On my first pregnancy it was detected way later n my morning sugars were higher than now n I never took meds or insulin and the dr kept pushing to take a pill but finally stopped bc she said my levels were very low risk.
So I get these mixed signals that I’m very low risk and my sugar levels are good. But then they recommend the insulin.

Hi, all I can think is they are expecting your insulin resistance to increase in the last trimester (which is what happens in every pregnancy) so your blood sugar levels might be harder to control later on.
I was put on insulin towards the end when even the keto diet wasn't enough to stop my fasting levels from creeping up.
You could always wait it out and see if they insist on insulin a bit later in the pregnancy.

Mareebah99

Hi, all I can think is they are expecting your insulin resistance to increase in the last trimester (which is what happens in every pregnancy) so your blood sugar levels might be harder to control later on.
I was put on insulin towards the end when even the keto diet wasn't enough to stop my fasting levels from creeping up.
You could always wait it out and see if they insist on insulin a bit later in the pregnancy.

Thank u!!! Just curious what were your fasting levels? And I’ve read about those different effects like the dawn etc where your hormones act differently early morning time

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank u!!! Just curious what were your fasting levels? And I’ve read about those different effects like the dawn etc where your hormones act differently early morning time
At 28 weeks my fasting was 92 (5.1 mmol), which is where diagnosis begins for pregnant women in Australia. It only got up to 98 (5.4) or maybe 100 (5.6) and even with 22 units of insulin and a low carb diet it hovered around 98 (5.4) in the final weeks.
I measured my 1h after meal spikes as well as 2 hour. When I once or twice slipped up and ate carbs (a meat pie once) my blood sugar spiked to around 180 (10mmol) and stayed at 144 (8 mmol) at 2h post meal. I wasn't using insulin post meal because my OB was happy with me eating low carb but when I wasn't low carb, the spikes weren't ideal.

Mareebah99

At 28 weeks my fasting was 92 (5.1 mmol), which is where diagnosis begins for pregnant women in Australia. It only got up to 98 (5.4) or maybe 100 (5.6) and even with 22 units of insulin and a low carb diet it hovered around 98 (5.4) in the final weeks.
I measured my 1h after meal spikes as well as 2 hour. When I once or twice slipped up and ate carbs (a meat pie once) my blood sugar spiked to around 180 (10mmol) and stayed at 144 (8 mmol) at 2h post meal. I wasn't using insulin post meal because my OB was happy with me eating low carb but when I wasn't low carb, the spikes weren't ideal.

92 mg/dL? That’s pretty low and good. I don’t think u needed insulin at all.