How high should BG levels reach after having food?

carophie04

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told I am type 2 and have had one HB1Ac reading (wasn't told what it was). Have been put on Metformin as a result (2 x 500 at present). My fasting reading and that a couple of hours or so after eating seem to be around 7 - 8 but I took a reading this afternoon about one hour after I had lunch and the reading was 18.7! Is this normal or does it mean I ate too much in quantitiy?
I had two small crusty rolls with liver sausage in, a tomato and stick of celery and a few crisps, so nothing highly sugery there, so how come my reading went up to such a high level Can anyone help please and allay my fears as this figure seems OTT. Thanks

WhitbyJet

Carophie- first thought would be the breadrolls, but even a sausage can be high carb if its low meat content and added cereals as filler.
Ideally readings of 7.5 2 hours after your meals, but many people aim for lower.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Did you test again another hour later? You are meant to take readings about 2-3 hours after eating and hopefully it should be lower by that point.

mrawfell

The bread rolls white I assume ? Wholemeal is slower release, but the final total is the same. I like tomatoes but they taste sweet.
As has been said test after 2 hours not 1 hour.
Don't forget starch is the problem as much as sugar, so even the crisps contribute. Starch rapidly breaks down into glucose in the body.

AMBrennan

As has been said test after 2 hours not 1 hour.
Unless one is pregnant, in which case BG should be < 7.8 mmol/l - which suggests that very high BG like 18.7 mmol/l after a meal might not be ideal, and aiming for those targets is unlikely to hurt one.
Wholemeal is slower release
That's only correct if they are eaten alone - what kind of carbs are eaten as part of a meal doesn't matter [Coulsten AM et al: Effects of source of dietary carbohydrate on plasma glucose, insulin and gastric inhibitory polypeptide responses to test meals in subjects with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition)]

carophie04

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your replies. Obviously the white rolls must be given the heave-ho in future. The only reason I tested after about an hour was a once off as I just wanted to see how eating affected the readings. I have previously only tested fasting and before/2hours after food and those readings always seem to be between 7 - 8 and so I was horrified to see a reading of 18.7 come up on my meter and found it hard to believe the difference especially since I had not eaten anything particularly sweet. My diabetic nurse said to lay off the sweet stuff and so I didn't think there was any harm in the savoury lunch I had eaten but obviously will have to have a re-think in future. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Grazer

carophie04 said:
since I had not eaten anything particularly sweet

Hi! Like me when I was first diagnosed, you're looking at sugar contents maybe when what really counts is the carbohydrate content of food. Sugar is just another type of carbohydrate, they all send your sugar levels up, but some more than others. All white flour products will give you spikes like the one you mentioned. Other starchy propducts like rice, pasta and old potatos boiled or mashed will do similar. A lot of type 2s on diet only, or metformin, try to moderate their carbohydrate intake to help control their sugar levels. You'll see lots of posts on here about that.
Good luck!

storm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Carboyhdrates are just sugar waiting to happen

Why the highly educated and well paid Health care professionals ommitted to tell me this is a cause of concern