Cortisone

Pittston

Can anyone help? I am prediabetic, very well controlled, latest HBAC 2 weeks ago was 39. However have suffered a setback as yesterday I had a cortisone injection in my arthritic knee, felt really rotten this morning. My blood sugar has been around 10.3 all day. Can this be the cause even in a well controlled person

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone help? I am prediabetic, very well controlled, latest HBAC 2 weeks ago was 39. However have suffered a setback as yesterday I had a cortisone injection in my arthritic knee, felt really rotten this morning. My blood sugar has been around 10.3 all day. Can this be the cause even in a well controlled person
Yes, cortisone is well known to raise blood sugars.
I hope at least your knee will feel better shortly!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Steroids will do this, and your blood glucose may stay higher, or be erratic for a while, but it won’t last long from a one off injection. :)

Reactions: Antje77

Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello , I have just been diagnosed with grade 3 arthritis in the knees. My doctor advised me against any knee injections as your blood glucose is very affected. I am working my leg quads like crazy , eating turmeric ,cod liver oil and glucosamene capsules. Also magnetic therapy bands. Good luck to you! Brian ;)

Pittston

Thanks so much. Never again comes to mind! I think the injection has not agreed with my system. My heart is racing, my face is scarlet. Just will have to wait for it to pass. Let this be a lesson to others!
My reading this morning was 8.3
Really appreciate your help

Reactions: Bri

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that, at least I know why! I guess it is a case of painful knee or high blood sugars for a while!!

I think you've done the right thing. Being in constant pain affects everything including your glucose levels and general health so even if you hadn't had the injection the pain and inflammation may well have affected your levels anyway, a no win situation so you may as well relieve the pain and monitor the glucose. x

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Thanks so much. Never again comes to mind! I think the injection has not agreed with my system. My heart is racing, my face is scarlet. Just will have to wait for it to pass. Let this be a lesson to others!
My reading this morning was 8.3
Really appreciate your help

It might be possible it's a reaction that should be listed as a potential allergy. Perhaps finding out if it is might be worth your while.

Pittston

Hello , I have just been diagnosed with grade 3 arthritis in the knees. My doctor advised me against any knee injections as your blood glucose is very affected. I am working my leg quads like crazy , eating turmeric ,cod liver oil and glucosamene capsules. Also magnetic therapy bands. Good luck to you! Brian ;)
The arthritis was beginning to impact on my life so at 76 I thought it would give me a bit more mobility! Believe it or not the injection was actually administered on my Birthday. Some present!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The arthritis was beginning to impact on my life so at 76 I thought it would give me a bit more mobility! Believe it or not the injection was actually administered on my Birthday. Some present!
I had similar reaction to steroid injection. Severe allergic reaction occurred a few hours after injection. Rash, face flushing, wheezing breathing, tachycardia, very high blood glucose. It intensified, over a few days, then settled. I needed high dose antihistamines for two weeks.
Good news allergic symptoms and blood glucose levels did settle but it took 2 weeks, for rash, and about 6 weeks for blood glucose. Funnily I forgot about the joint pain .

@Pittston , I would urge you to get medical advice, as allergic reactions can be very serious. Also, be aware that steroid injections can lower immunity to other illnesses, so be mindful of this in your contact with others.
Hope you feel better soon.

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting to read! I never ever considered it might impact my levels (not testing currently) Had an injection in March and I too had a very flushed face for a few days! Don’t know when I’ll get another one!

Pittston

All I can say is that it has made me feel quite unwell, today my face is like a furnace , dreadful headache, racing heart and raised Blood Glucose. Never again. Had a word with the pharmacist who knew exactly what I was talking about. No antidote just ride the storm! Happy days