Lantus insulin 1 injection or 2?

Nik2402

Hi there...

I use long acting Lantus insulin, I take it once every evening. I’ve heard it works better taking it twice over 24 hours because otherwise it starts to run out before the next injection is due

Anyone taking lantus have any thoughts/experience on taking half the required dose over 2 injections rather than one?

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi there...

I use long acting Lantus insulin, I take it once every evening. I’ve heard it works better taking it twice over 24 hours because otherwise it starts to run out before the next injection is due

Anyone taking lantus have any thoughts/experience on taking half the required dose over 2 injections rather than one?
Hi there, I took Lantas before bed but struggled with it and kept ending up with readings all over the place, the nurse put me on tresiba instead which is a more slower acting insulin and I prefer it a lot, may be worth talking to your doctor but I am sure that some Lantau users may be able to give more advice

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was on Lantus (now on Tresiba) I split the dose. Took more in the morning to try and help night time lows. It had some affect but not consistent. Changed to Toujeo, which is still Lantus but longer lasting. Found it very unpredictable during the night. About 3 months ago, 7 years into the diabetes journey I started on Tresiba. Best thing ever for me.

Reactions: Choosehappy

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried the split dosing and found it made my day time sugars unstable. I tried it as, at the time, I was using quite a lot more Novorapid for my evening meal. I've reverted back to a 10pm injection and live with the higher dose of fast acting.

I also find that I need less Lantus during winter than summer. In summer, use rises to 18 units, whilst winter falls to 10 units.

Reactions: Choosehappy

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I was on Lanctus 24 units , however my diabetic consultant put me on Levimir as he said that Lanctus was too unpredictable, something that my blood tests agreed with. I now take 12 units of Levimir twice daily my sugars are much better and more consistent