Healthy Anxiety

MattD303

Hey everyone, hope you are all well, since I was diagnosed with T1D back in April, I have found myself worrying more about the slightest little thing, recently had my routine diabetes appointment and everything game back fine. But even things that aren’t diabetes related I find myself worrying now. Like the feeling of having a lump in my throat, it can all be linked to stress, I was just wondering if any of you experienced the same and how you dealt with it? Think I just need reassurance really haha!

Have a great day everyone, Matt

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey everyone, hope you are all well, since I was diagnosed with T1D back in April, I have found myself worrying more about the slightest little thing, recently had my routine diabetes appointment and everything game back fine. But even things that aren’t diabetes related I find myself worrying now. Like the feeling of having a lump in my throat, it can all be linked to stress, I was just wondering if any of you experienced the same and how you dealt with it? Think I just need reassurance really haha!

Have a great day everyone, Matt
I think it's totally understandable if you are a little more anxious just given the diabetes diagnosis alone. I think the quote goes something like 'no disease demands so much of the patient'. Lots of emotional energy being put into getting doses right and feeling guilty if you eat the wrong thing or don't test when you should? Fear of hypos or hypers could do it too.
As you say it can turn into general anxiety just because your anxiety hormones are looking for a threat once they have been elevated. And there's an invisible virus to be conscious of too possibly with parents or others mentioning (as my 72 year old mother does) how worried you should be as a diabetic.
I believe the worry will start to take a back seat but if it continues or starts to stop you doing other things you used to enjoy then there are ways to manage it.
I've not really been anxious with it but have gone the other way which is to rather go into denial. Also not a healthy or useful reaction and I hope you find a middle way!

MattD303

I think it's totally understandable if you are a little more anxious just given the diabetes diagnosis alone. I think the quote goes something like 'no disease demands so much of the patient'. Lots of emotional energy being put into getting doses right and feeling guilty if you eat the wrong thing or don't test when you should? Fear of hypos or hypers could do it too.
As you say it can turn into general anxiety just because your anxiety hormones are looking for a threat once they have been elevated. And there's an invisible virus to be conscious of too possibly with parents or others mentioning (as my 72 year old mother does) how worried you should be as a diabetic.
I believe the worry will start to take a back seat but if it continues or starts to stop you doing other things you used to enjoy then there are ways to manage it.
I've not really been anxious with it but have gone the other way which is to rather go into denial. Also not a healthy or useful reaction and I hope you find a middle way!

Thank you for your reply! Yeah think the point about the anxiety hormones looking for another threat rings true, as soon as I notice something, I start noticing other tiny things that I would never normally notice!

One of those things I guess I will just ride out until it hopefully goes away! The fact I’m an Overthinker anyway doesn’t help, regardless of all the diabetes on top!

Stay safe!

Reactions: Pura Vida