New to metformin what foods calm side effects

Blue3

As the title says any advice welcome I have been on Metformin for several weeks starting on 500mg for seven days then another 500mg and so on until I reached 2,000 mg which I have been on now for the last two weeks and it's playing havoc with my insides, personally the thing that causes me the most problem is bloating and a tummy ache which starts as soon as I eat, I have been cutting foods out in an attempt to identify problem foods.

To date I have cut out the following as they definitely caused a problem for me

Pasta
White Bread
Any sweet items

To date I have found that protean causes the lest issues

Eggs
Unprocessed meat

Any advice will be very much appreciated

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stomach issues can unfortunately be a side effect sonim sorry you are finding that. Are you in the slow release? That can often be better tolerated

Blue3

Stomach issues can unfortunately be a side effect sonim sorry you are finding that. Are you in the slow release? That can often be better tolerated

No not on the slow release but I want to give these tablets a good chance to settle down and any foods that might help

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that giving up the metformin and eating ultra low carb foods fixed all those issues.
Also helped to put T2 into remission.

Reactions: Evie-D

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No not on the slow release but I want to give these tablets a good chance to settle down and any foods that might help
I don't know about foods I'm afraid but bulkbikers post is another option but I would seriously recommend you looking for at the slow release option

Also I saw elsewhere some people recommend probiotics

Reactions: Blue3

SarahEN

Probiotics definitely help -, as does avoiding refined carbs & all forms of sugar. I found that if Metformin made me unwell it was because I ate something that was not good for my blood sugar. Protein, cheese, cream, all above ground veg are generally all good. Nuts & seeds also great source of energy with good fats.

Peppermint tea helps with bloating.

Blue3

Probiotics definitely help -, as does avoiding refined carbs & all forms of sugar. I found that if Metformin made me unwell it was because I ate something that was not good for my blood sugar. Protein, cheese, cream, all above ground veg are generally all good. Nuts & seeds also great source of energy with good fats.

Peppermint tea helps with bloating.

Can I clarify you are saying protein, chesse and cream were good for you?

I had not thought of probiotics I will give that a try also peppermint tea again I will try

Thank you some really useful ideas

Bash_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
I couldn't get on with Metformin for the same reasons your having. As type 1 diabetic it was thought that it may help reduce my insulin dosage. Even at the lowest dose it doesn't work for everyone. I'd suggest you speak to your consultant asap and stop taking immediately, playing havoc with your insides and tummy ache sound more like an allergic reaction and isn't normal in any instances.

Let your stomach settle and avoid fruit juices and high acid content foods at least if your stomach settle you'll know by elimination that metformin is the issue.

I've been type 1 for 47 years and insulin isn't a big deal so long as you gear up for it and learn from others. All the best.

Bash_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
Sorry blue3 forgot to mention, if not metformin get yourself tested for gluten intolerance as white bread, pasta and so many items including beef burgers contain high amounts of gluten. A blood test is the only way of confirmation and to identify if its full blown ceoliac or just gluten intolerance.

Both can cause tummy problems, poor absorbshion of vitamins from food and swelling to abdominal area.

Regards

Reactions: SarahEN

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn't get on with Metformin for the same reasons your having. As type 1 diabetic it was thought that it may help reduce my insulin dosage. Even at the lowest dose it doesn't work for everyone. I'd suggest you speak to your consultant asap and stop taking immediately, playing havoc with your insides and tummy ache sound more like an allergic reaction and isn't normal in any instances.

Let your stomach settle and avoid fruit juices and high acid content foods at least if your stomach settle you'll know by elimination that metformin is the issue.

I've been type 1 for 47 years and insulin isn't a big deal so long as you gear up for it and learn from others. All the best.
whilst doesn't occur in all cases, stomach upsets are a known side effect of Metformin, I'd not think it was a allergy but speaking to the medical representative is a good idea. there are ways as suggested to reduce impact and slow release can help (it did for me)

But one thing is a question should have asked is if @Blue3 is type 1 or 2

Blue3

whilst doesn't occur in all cases, stomach upsets are a known side effect of Metformin, I'd not think it was a allergy but speaking to the medical representative is a good idea. there are ways as suggested to reduce impact and slow release can help (it did for me)

But one thing is a question should have asked is if @Blue3 is type 1 or 2
Type 2

SarahEN

Can I clarify you are saying protein, chesse and cream were good for you?

I had not thought of probiotics I will give that a try also peppermint tea again I will try

Thank you some really useful ideas
Sorry, yes I meant they are good foods for a diabetic. Its completely counter to all dietary advice we've ever been given of course & takes a leap of faith to start eating things like cream and cheese again. I spent years doing low fat diets & the thought of using butter to cook, or mixing some double cream into my veg completely blew my mind at first.

It's worth doing some reading on the impact of a low carb diet on t2 diabetes. Unfortunately alot of doctors aren't as up to speed as they could be on new research.

Reactions: Blue3

Blue3

Sorry blue3 forgot to mention, if not metformin get yourself tested for gluten intolerance as white bread, pasta and so many items including beef burgers contain high amounts of gluten. A blood test is the only way of confirmation and to identify if its full blown ceoliac or just gluten intolerance.

Both can cause tummy problems, poor absorbshion of vitamins from food and swelling to abdominal area.

Regards

I don't think it's anything other than the metformin as I did not have a problem before I started taking it, but it certainly is aggravated when eating some foods, I will continue to try excluding and trying foods to get a better handle on the side effects of metformin

However the help and advice I have received on here has been very supportive

I have just returned from Sainsburys with peppermint tea

Reactions: Bash_ and SarahEN

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Metformin 500mg twice a day I've now been on for just under 2 months. I've learned to avoid anything remotely acidic and end meals with chamomile, peppermint or a lavender tea - all work for me.

As I'm getting used to the Metformin, I've also noticed the effects are getting less pronounced too, which is a blessing.

All the best...

Reactions: Andydragon

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm prescribed a smooth muscle-relaxant ..in ✻capsule✻ form ..it is also available OTC ..speak to your pharmacist first.