Limitations from type1.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had lived in both Greece and Italy from the late 80's, teaching skiing and owning a couple of watersport centres, bars and restaurants. Came back to the UK in 2001 as my Mom need a couple of knee replacements. They went badly and after a few years Dementia took hold and I stayed to look after her. With the help of live in carers, I managed to take lots of sailing courses and qualified as a Yachtmaster Instructor and got an Officer of the Watch Ticket which allowed me to skipper large yachts both sailing and "Gin Palace" type.

When Mom died after 17 hard years I got a job delivering all types of boats around the world and odd bits of teaching.:cool: With no pension my "later" years were looking good.

Then just 3 months after the funeral I was in ICU with T1 which as an added bonus also includes an instant fail on the yearly medical.:( At least I was lucky that it didn't happen whilst crossing the Atlantic although burial at sea does have a kind of romantic appeal.:nailbiting:

Got to agree with @Circuspony in that my fitness/energy levels have not returned in the 3 years since diagnosis so wouldn't be up for the challenge even with the a medical pass.

Wow, so there’s a prime example of T1 completing ruining a career. That most of been absolutely horrible, suppose I’ve been lucky that I didn’t achieve my dream job then have it snatched away from me.

Regarding the fitness levels, I can’t really remember a time without diabetes now so I don’t have a clue what I was like before. If I’m low/high I know I can’t be bothered to do anything at all, but If I’m in range I can quite happily go to the gym twice a day.

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, so there’s a prime example of T1 completing ruining a career. That most of been absolutely horrible, suppose I’ve been lucky that I didn’t achieve my dream job then have it snatched away from me.

Regarding the fitness levels, I can’t really remember a time without diabetes now so I don’t have a clue what I was like before. If I’m low/high I know I can’t be bothered to do anything at all, but If I’m in range I can quite happily go to the gym twice a day.
:)You say "dream job" but looking back I think I would class it a tad lower maybe as just a GREAT job and a wonderful way to have ended my working life.

As for "dream job" I can think of nothing better than being paid to ski down some of the most beautiful mountains in the world in the winter and then during the summer get to teach an ever revolving influx of tourists;) to ski, windsurf, sail and parascend during the day and then feed & drink them in the evening. Those memories are lasting and I doubt very much it would have happened if I had been diagnosed young.

I am no gambler but we all have to deal with the cards we are dealt at any given time and adapt accordingly although it is not always easy is it?

I do hope you will be able to open your gym again soon to more people than just yourself,:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Type 1, 32 years, I had my daughter at 42 1/2 years old and it was my greatest diabetes moment ever, she is now 20..
I try to keep fit and active (recently I have started to do dance work outs at home to get healthier also cutting back on food) as much as possible and still going strong.
For over a year now I have wanted to go up in a small plane and fly it, under instruction, so hoping to do that this year.

Reactions: Ledzeptt and Juicyj

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1, 32 years, I had my daughter at 42 1/2 years old and it was my greatest diabetes moment ever, she is now 20..
I try to keep fit and active (recently I have started to do dance work outs at home to get healthier also cutting back on food) as much as possible and still going strong.
For over a year now I have wanted to go up in a small plane and fly it, under instruction, so hoping to do that this year.

Hey @Robinredbreast, you’ll absolutely love going up and flying. It’s absolutely amazing! Once these restrictions are lifted I’m definitely going to carry on trying to get my private pilots license. 3 month ago before going on a pump I would of said I’d never pass or even want to try pass my medical after doing deep research into what it entails.