TYPE 2 & BINGE EATING DISORDER

greensquares

Does anyone else suffer with this and how do you manage to deal with it. I've mainly managed to overcome anorexia followed by bulimia and I have had BOD for many, many years.

I'm obese and now a type 2 diabetic.

Has anyone been in this position or is in this position and how to cope with it?

Any advice gratefully received.

Reactions: Tiggy63#

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had counselling? My binge eating was caused by childhood trauma. Also by a need to fill a void. Until I read your post I hadn't realised that it's something I just don't do anymore. When I started binge eating I didn't even remember that there had been any trauma, I had buried it so deeply.

There are of course occasions now when I eat the wrong things, but not to excess; when I am full, or even not hungry anymore I stop. No will power required, yet back then I just had to carry on stuffing myself.

What is your normal diet like? I found that when I switched to low carb there were less things in the house to binge on. Following a calorie restricted diet isn't great as you naturally get hungry, everyone does on those, and the tendency to binge is even greater - and so is the feeling of shame and failure afterwards. I notice on another thread someone advised eating dark chocolate. I worked my way up from 70% to 99%. The 99% is so strong that I normally only have 7 grams a day, even if I double up that's only half an ounce. So go for really tasty things and forego the bland carbs. On the same thread someone else suggested drinking cream. I have a coffee with cream if I feel hungry. It's comforting and filling to have something hot to help fill that void, whether it's actual hunger or an emotional void. Also the few minutes taken to boil a kettle and make the coffee gives you a little timeout to think before you dive into something else. Oh and don't bother with diet drinks, water is better.

So I would say you need to learn to love and accept yourself as you are first of all. It's the person you are now who will see you through to being the stronger non binge eating person you want to be in the future. Think of food as a way of nurturing your body because you are worth nurturing. My counsellor taught me Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), or Tapping Therapy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiggy63#