Blood levels and cycling

SPC123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am a type 1 diabetic who enjoys road cycling

I do not have time for long rides but regularly will ride 15-25 miles to try and keep weight under control

I have read about fasting training ie setting off without eating anything. If I do this I find that my sugars stay fairly constant and I do not need to stop for snacks or find my sugars constantly falling at all

if I eat before I ride or inject any insulin at all I find my sugars drop all the time and I need to snack or take on board sugar every 45 minutes or so.

Just wondering why a fasting ride works like this and if it is recommended for diabetics

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Reactions: Antje77

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What time of day do you ride?
I find if I cycle first thing, whilst my liver is doing its dumping thing, I do not need to eat and my blood sugars stay level - I assume this is because the liver dump is balancing the blood sugar drop due to cycling.
If I cycle any other time of the day, I would go low without outside assistance. As I have a pump, I make sure I have no bolus on board (not eaten for 3 hours prior) and suspend my basal for the hour before I ride.

SPC123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Usually ride 7-8 o clock in the morning and if high go out without eating

often find sugars at that time 8-10ish and on the ride stay at that and sometimes despite exercise increase. Must admit never heard of a liver dump but would explain Soto for my other readings

rides where sugar under pressure usually mid pm or early evening

thanks for your reply.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I generally cycle or run in the mornings and only on pump basal, no bolus until lunch time. I do tend to drift up towards lunch, possibly a liver dump so often have to bolus a unit or two late morning. It’s never been commented on or discussed at clinic but I haven’t raised it either. If it works for me then it works for me.